Date: 10/8/24 1:54 am
From: eBird alert via groups.io <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Cackling Goose (2 reports)
- Common Gallinule (1 report)
- Common Tern (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)
- Orchard Oriole (1 report)

Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii) (1)
- Reported Oct 07, 2024 09:46 by larry nigro
- Santa Cruz Island--Potato Harbor Trail, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.5843309&<ll...>,-119.5843309
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "One in upper campground . Dark brown, white collar smaller goose."

Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii) (1)
- Reported Oct 07, 2024 09:46 by Molly Donahue
- Santa Cruz Island--Potato Harbor Trail, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.5843309&<ll...>,-119.5843309
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "One in upper campground . Dark brown, white collar smaller goose."

Common Gallinule (Gallinula galeata) (1)
- Reported Oct 07, 2024 17:24 by Zach Nett
- Goleta Slough Ecological Reserve--Los Carneros Rd. at Mesa Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8586941&<ll...>,-119.8586941
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "continuing bird. pics to come."

Common Tern (Sterna hirundo) (2)
- Reported Oct 07, 2024 12:00 by Lynn Scarlett
- East Beach, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.6733427&<ll...>,-119.6733427
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "small tern, orange and black beak, dark gray patch on wing at shoulder, situated among large numbers of royal terns and a few elegant terns--see photos"

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 06, 2024 15:50 by Toby Fowler
- UCSB--campus, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8450041&<ll...>,-119.8450041
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Tropical kingbirds are back on campus, maybe? I'm pretty sure about this but would have loved a side view to get a better sense of the tail. Perched on Webb (34.413250, -119.843889) with two very vocal Cassin's, but this one remained silent (so no confirmation of the trill call). The yellow going all the way up the chest stuck out to me, and the bill seems fairly big in comparison. Additionally, I feel like the tail looks pretty deeply forked. White edging on the wings rules out Western, but I don't know if I can completely rule out a Cassin's here. I think the back is too green for a Cassin's.

A bit north of their normal location on campus, but really by only like, 500~1000 feet, so nothing too weird.

I think the FOS was at Whittier so they're definitely coming back to the county for the winter, but I'm not too well-versed on the timing of that."

Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) (1)
- Reported Oct 07, 2024 15:05 by Alex Castelein
- Camino Corto Open Space and Del Sol Vernal Pool Preserve, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8673469&<ll...>,-119.8673469
- Comments: "Adult male sitting on wire above Fortuna Ln (the cul de sac, NOT Fortuna Rd). With naked eye the slightly backlit bird seemed house finch size but too deeply and darkly red. When I got my bins on the bird it clicked immediately, seeing the dark hood and completely chestnut body. It proceeded to quickly dive into pomegranate bush below it. I wonder if this could be the same male I had at the SueƱo Orchard amost two weeks ago having finished its molt. Could winter here with all the good ornamentals"

View/Reply Online (#37881): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/37881
Updated status and distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
For guides to birding eBird Hotspots in SB, see https://birdinghotspots.org/us/california/santa-barbara-county
-=-=-