Date: 10/7/24 5:32 pm
From: R L ROWLAND RONALD ROWLAND via groups.io <rlrowland...>
Subject: [IBLE] THE BIG SIT!, Boise area 2024 edition
Hey all out there in the "ible-verse", RL here.
I have been agonizing over how to write this up the last few weeks such that it won't sound disjointed. No such luck, so here goes. Better later than never.
In 1992 the New haven Bird Club (NHBC) started THE BIG SIT!. Some years later they relinquished control of the Sit to Bird Watcher's Digest (BWD) magazine for many years. Several years ago Robert Mortensen started the Boise edition at Hyatt Wetlands then asked me to take over, which I have been doing since. However, in the last few years BWD has changed ownership and no longer has any involvement in the Sit.

Now, after a four year hiatus, I am restarting the Boise edition of THE BIG SIT!. It is registered on the NHBC website calendar.
I held the last Big Sit at Black's Ck. Reservoir, now Black's Ck. Bird Preserve (BCBP), in 2019. Then 2020, 2021 and 2022 came along with CoViD, which put a damper on gatherings. In 2023 I was invited by the NHBC (the originator) to again set up a site. Last year there was good water at BCBP, but, I was not prepared to do a Sit.
It is now 2024 and I am invited back. This year's Big Sit! is again being held at the BCBP.
Day/Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024
Time: Sunrise (approx. 0800) to Sunset (approx. 1900). I expect to be on station from 0730-1930.
Weather: as I write this, long-term projection looks good, sunny, clear, calm-variable light breezes, cool (temp.'s, mid-upper 60's)
Some little "quickies" about the rules for you all who've not done this before:
1) Our base is the confines of a 17ft. circle, all sightings/identifiable sounds folks see/hear can only come from those inside the confines of the circle. In other words, if you see/hear a bird should you go back to your car or the facility or even step outside the circle, it doesn't count. You must be within the circle when you see/hear said bird for it to count.
2) Merlin Sound will be only used to confirm heard birds, not as primary source, but, getting a visual confirmation on something heard will be better.
3) If a bird is seen, say thru a scope and the id narrowed to a possible single species, a scout can be sent out to confirm. However, any other birds kicked up by the scout can't be added. Again everything must come from within the circle.
4) I know some birders won't want to stay confined within the circle, get photos, etc., but, I must ask them to not roam about as it would create a disturbance. The birds must be left alone. Be natural.
I have been out once to look for a good spot to set the circle center, find the best place to set up to be able to scan the open water, see/hear what's in the trees and brush and the East end/far shore mud. Balance the various micro-habitats for optimal/maximal viewing/hearing. Narrowed it down to a about a 100m. strip, but, as can only have a 17ft. span, that is still in the air, I am open to suggestions. Will go back to scout some more, should some one like to get with me for this purpose we can meet there, I would appreciate it as I still am in my boot and mobility is limited, though I am allowed to drive now. Call or drop me an email, the latter is on my ebird Profile page.
Anyway, on Sunday, come for the day or just stop by for a couple hours, BYOC (bring your own chair), lunch, snacks, water, binos, scopes, etc. This is not a formal SIBA or GEAS F/T so no need for preregistration, just stop by. However, I will ask folks to sign in and out. When BWD ran the show all lists were sent thru their website, but, now that NHBC is back in charge, lists for Sit's are now to be submitted thru ebird and you know how sensitive ebird is about participant numbers as well as bird numbers.
For history or further more detailed info on how this thing works/rules just Google "The Big Sit". It's all there.
Continued Good Birding all. RL[wavey.gif<https://webmail.centurylink.net/app/ress/img/RTE/emoticon2/wavey.gif>]