Date: 10/7/24 7:03 am
From: Cliff Weisse via groups.io <cliffandlisa...>
Subject: [IBLE] Broad-winged Hawk / Fremont County
Last night I was in Warm River (9 miles east of Ashton) and we sat down
outside to eat dinner right at dusk. A Buteo flew over the ridge and
glided towards us. It was fairly low and immediately caught our eye as
different. As it approached I couldn't see any markings on the underside
of the bird and it was dark enough to make it hard to make out the dark
border around the wings or see the tail pattern. Eventually it was right
overhead at the right angle and I could detect the dark border as well
as two wide black bands on the tail. I said "that's a Broad-winged Hawk"
and Lisa responded "that's what I thought". As it flew off I realized it
had pointed wing tips, not the blunt/rounded wing tips Redtails have.
Pretty cool sighting for not even having binocs at hand.

Cliff

--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho