Date: 10/6/24 8:37 pm
From: Barbara M Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Sun. banding - Uxbridge - 50+
Thanks to Strickland Wheelock for this report.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 01:10:27 +0000 (UTC)
From: Strickland Wheelock <skwheelock...>
Subject: Sun. banding - Uxbridge - 50+

Finally a cool crisp morning, great night for migration and did we get
action here in Uxbridge at this private property specially groomed for
birds, butterflies, etc - 50+ captures in our 11 nets after 3 net checks
- on our 2nd net check, we had 32 captures with 1 net having 15 Am
Goldfinches - another net with 9 with more Goldfinches, House Finch,
Chipping & Song Sparrows, male E Bluebird, Catbird - most exciting
capture was a Gray-cheeked Thrush in the hand. Once the temperature got
warmer around 10:30 am, we started to close the nets.Other species
caught were an E Phoebe, Cardinal, Blue Jay, Swamp & Wht-thr Sparrows -
surprisingly a few Yellow-rumped Warblers, Ruby-cr Kinglets were near
the nets but not in - still no Juncos but all that should change this
week with continued cold weather - Saw-whet Owls will be on the move
along with all these passerines.Thank goodness we had this morning my
skilled team and 2 very skilled banders from the Auburn banding site to
band, sex & age all these 50+ birds in a coordinated flow - the balance
of the week [outside of Mon] probably will be just as busy plus we have
a field trip from Drumlin Farm this coming Sat that could be exciting
for the participants.

Strickland Wheelock
Uxbridge Ma

Join us on Facebook!