Date: 10/6/24 8:27 pm
From: Barbara M Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Pinnacle Rock (06 Oct 2024) 9 Raptors
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 01:55:07 +0000
From: <reports...>
Subject: Pinnacle Rock (06 Oct 2024) 9 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 1 1 5

Total: 9 14 52

Observation start time: 06:45:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7.25 hours

Official Counter: Craig Jackson

Observers: Carol Powers, Jack Miano

Weather:
Light (2) winds from the north turned toward the east after the first
hour
and eventually at the end of the day turned toward the southeast;
Temperature went from 9-15?? C; At the beginning of the watch there was
only about 7% cloud cover, all on the eastern horizon. As the day went
on,
cumulus clouds started forming covering as much as 60% of the sky before
dissipating so at the end of the watch there was only 10% cloud cover

Raptor Observations:
With Jack's help, we were able to observe a small number of migrating
raptors including 4 migrating adult Bald Eagles that were all traveling
together. All of the migrating raptors were flying very high (3-4) and
none passed close by the Rock.
Non-migrating raptors included at least two TV, another adult BE, and at
least five RT

Non-raptor Observations:
Birds - The most interesting bird seen was a Blue-headed Vireo that
perched
in the tree right below my observation point. There was also a Raven
that
was harassing other raptors.

Predictions:
Rain is predicted for Monday morning. After the rain passes, the winds
will be mostly from westerly directions for the next five days, with
stronger northwest winds in the afternoons. As of today's forecast the
strongest northwest winds will be on Thursday afternoon. Since west and
northwest winds are the best conditions at this site, we may finally be
getting some decent flights of migrating raptors, and I hope some of you
can come. Due to medical appointments, I will be getting to the Rock
late
in the morning (at earliest) on Wednesday, and probably not at all on
Friday. Hopefully, others can cover for me when I'm not there.
Report submitted by Craig Jackson (<crleja1949...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org:
https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=239

Join us on Facebook!