Date: 10/6/24 5:28 pm
From: Barbara M Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (06 Oct 2024) 67 Migrating Raptors incl Golden Eagle
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2024 23:19:48 +0000
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (06 Oct 2024) 67 Migrating Raptors incl

Unknown Falcon 0 3 16
Unknown Eagle 0 0 1
Unknown Raptor 1 19 101

Total: 67 414 2925

Observation start time: 08:15:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6.75 hours

Official Counter: Eric Mueller

Observers: Lisa Burwell, Scott Carlson, Steve Arena, Tom
Gottschang

Visitors:
We had a talented morning crew. Special mentions to Alicia Carrillo for
her excellent eyesight and to Steve Arena for excellent spotting and ID
chops along with photo skills which he used to correct me on a few
falcon
mis-IDs. Along with Alicia and Steve and the observers listed above, we
got
help from John Sisk, Tatyana Kalani and Even Griffith (formerly from the
UP), Ernie and Janice Cuadra, and Karen Gottschang. Thanks for working
around the crowded scene on the platform!

Sightseers and Oktoberfest-ians swarmed the summit by the hundreds
(thousands?)

Weather:
A fine day for sightseeing, but just OK for hawk migration. There was
very
little wind today, and when it did pick up in the last hour, it was from
the SSE. The day started with the dreaded "blue screen of death" sky,
but
low clouds ringed the horizon fairly quickly, and in the afternoon, we
got
some thin cirrus clouds which gave us a better background to use. Temps
ranged from 52 to 65F. There was a moderate amount of humidity in the
air
along with a bit of haze, but only the most distant landmarks (mid-NH
mountains) were obscured.

Raptor Observations:
Numbers-wise we had an OK day with 67 migrating raptors counted. What
made
the day extra special was the appearance of our first Golden Eagle of
the
season, a juvenile or 1-year old with the classic bold white underwing
markings and white tail with a broad black terminal band. We'll post
some
photos on our eBird report later. While not the earliest that we've ever
seen a GE here (9/5/20, 9/18/08, 9/22/05), it was still earlier than
normal
for our site. The Pack Monadnock hawk watch reported seeing a juvenile
GE
very late yesterday, so this is likely the same bird.

Turkey Vultures made up almost half of all of the birds seen today, with
Sharpies being the only other species in double figures. Still, we had a
good selection of birds with 10 species represented. A few Broad-wings
are
still trickling through. The light winds may account for the lack of
migrating Bald Eagles today. We had the usual number of local BEs, but
only
for brief appearances.

Non-migrating raptors:
TV - 6
Bald Eagle - 6 (3 Ad, 2 Imm, 1 not aged)
SS Hawk - 2
Cooper's Hawk - 1
Red-tailed Hawk - 2

Non-raptor Observations:
Non-raptors: (the noise of the crowd on the summit drowned out most of
the
bird calls that we might normally hear)
Blue Jay - 5
Comm Raven - 6
Yellow-rumped Warb - 2
E Towhee - 2
gull sp - 15 (fly-by)

Predictions:
Rain is expected until noon on Monday, so it's possible that we won't
conduct a watch unless it clears up completely. Check the Wachusett Mt
ski
area trail cams for low cloud cover -
https://www.wachusett.com/the-mountain/media-center/webcams/ . Afternoon
winds are expected from the WNW at 5-10 mph with temps in the low 60s.
If
you go up and no one else is there, please send your sightings to Eric
at
<ericmueller1912...> .
Report submitted by ERIC MUELLER (<ericmueller1912...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!