Date: 10/6/24 12:54 pm
From: lcarrigan_55 via groups.io <carriganbw...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] White-breasted Nuthatch
Cool sighting of the Stellar's Jays! At our location along the Snake River, I've had a single appearance by a lone Stellar's Jay, years ago. Farmer neighbor tells me Stellar's, like Mountain Bluebirds, were fairly regular in this area 60+ years ago. Have only seen Mountain Bluebirds a couple of times here, for brief visits, during the Spring. Neighbor tells me bluebirds used to nest in the horizontal pipe his Dad had welded to the mailbox post, for the newspaper. Said, when nesting, the paper would be on top of the mailbox in the morning.

Also, that as Starlings appeared, the bluebirds disappeared. Kind of like newspapers, themselves. But, don't think I can blame disappearance of newspapers on Starlings...

Brian Carrigan
Blackfoot