Date: 10/3/24 9:15 pm
From: eBird alert via groups.io <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Greater Scaup (1 report)
- Common Gallinule (2 reports)
- Green-tailed Towhee (1 report)
- Bobolink (3 reports)
- Black-and-white Warbler (2 reports)

Greater Scaup (Aythya marila) (1)
- Reported Oct 03, 2024 16:17 by Alex Castelein
- Coal Oil Point Reserve--Dune Pond, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.881839&<ll...>,-119.881839
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Very early. Was surprised to notice this male scaup resting in the center of the pond, and upon closer inspection I was further surprised to notice that the head shape suggested Greater. I waited about ten minutes for it to raise its head but eventually got impatient and figured I’d try playing some Greater Scaup calls on my phone. The bird perked up immediately to both male display calls and female calls. Didn’t know playback worked on ducks! ID is based on the smoothly rounded head with no obvious peak standing out, the highest point being the forehead, and the wide nail on the bill, which looks too wide for Lesser. With the light conditions I couldn’t see any iridescent color, not that it’s very important anyways. The dirty, smudgy sides are the only thing that threw me off, but this may just be a remnant of eclipse plumage; I’ve never seen one in early October before! That said, the shape looks perfect for Greater so I’m confident calling it one. Photos soon"

Common Gallinule (Gallinula galeata) (1)
- Reported Oct 03, 2024 10:27 by Mark Holmgren
- Cachuma Lake, Storke Flat, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.919777&<ll...>,-119.919777
- Comments: "The bird was at 34.56544, -119.92429. This is just west of the NW extreme point on my route. Very briefly seen among the dead and inundated Baccharis marsh. To me, the bird appeared slightly larger than a coot (though the books say otherwise), especially longer bodied. Brownish back, white feathers along sides and flanks. My look was brief enough that I did not take note of the bill or head. I tried for some digi-photos, but they did not show the bird."

Common Gallinule (Gallinula galeata) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 01, 2024 18:29 by Toby Fowler
- Goleta Slough Ecological Reserve--Los Carneros Rd. at Mesa Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8586941&<ll...>,-119.8586941
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Update: looking back at the photos, changing this to a Common Gallinule (the continuing one from a few days ago). Originally had this listed as a sp., and was actually leaning towards coot. Completely missed the white feathers at the rear, but they were just flush against the water. Wasn't giving me coot vibes at the time but I really didn't have any expectations for appearance and behavior. Brown gallinule-type rallid with a neck fading to white. Beak wasn't that of an AMCO, and was pale. Smaller than a coot.

Poor photos because it was getting dark."

Green-tailed Towhee (Pipilo chlorurus) (1)
- Reported Sep 28, 2024 16:46 by Jeremy Carberry
- Santa Cruz Island--Scorpion Canyon Campgrounds, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.5645389&<ll...>,-119.5645389
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Cutie gray bird with a brown cap, white throat, green wings and tail. Initially spotted by Chuck Graham. Foraging along the service road intersection just south of the ranch house. See photo"

Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) (1)
- Reported Oct 03, 2024 13:00 by Pamela Viale
- Lane Farms--San Marcos Gardens (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.7931409&<ll...>,-119.7931409
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Medium sized bird with creamy yellow underparts, darker striped back. Black stripes on yellow crown. Thick pink bill. Pinkish legs and feet."

Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) (1)
- Reported Oct 03, 2024 13:00 by Adrian O'Loghlen
- Lane Farms--San Marcos Gardens (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.7931409&<ll...>,-119.7931409
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Medium sized bird with creamy yellow underparts, darker striped back. Black stripes on yellow crown. Thick pink bill. Pinkish legs and feet."

Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus) (1)
- Reported Oct 03, 2024 10:45 by Adrian O'Loghlen
- Lane Farms--San Marcos Gardens (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.7931409&<ll...>,-119.7931409
- Media: 2 Photos

Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) (1)
- Reported Oct 02, 2024 18:11 by Ryan Seppala
- Camino Corto Open Space and Del Sol Vernal Pool Preserve, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8673469&<ll...>,-119.8673469
- Comments: "Found by Toby Fowler earlier in the evening. Just south of the bridge, looked like a female/immature. Creeping up/down some narrow trunks in a tangle."

Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) (1)
- Reported Oct 02, 2024 16:50 by Toby Fowler
- Camino Corto Open Space and Del Sol Vernal Pool Preserve, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.8673469&<ll...>,-119.8673469
- Comments: "Found just south of one of the bridges (about 34.413783, -119.866943). Stayed in some pretty dense growth, but I picked it out because it was giving its very best nuthatch impression + the coloration. Black and white above, cream-white below. Black cap, white eyebrow (so not a Blackpoll), faint cheek patch. No yellow in front of the eye (and a pale throat), so not a Black-throated Grey. Never really got good photos, but got a nice view through binoculars several times.

I haven't seen one of these guys since my first one, which prompted me to start using Ebird. Coming up on 1 year soon, so it was very nice to see one."

View/Reply Online (#37864): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/37864
Updated status and distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
For guides to birding eBird Hotspots in SB, see https://birdinghotspots.org/us/california/santa-barbara-county
-=-=-