Date: 10/3/24 5:43 am
Subject: Re: Storm damage - Walcott Tract got walloped
I was not worried so much about the birds Marilyn - but rather the quality
of the habitat at certain migrant traps that are consistently productive
for close observation and photography. The tupelos, Mulberries and
virginia creeper-laden and grape-laden, etc. trees are a big part of the
migrant traps' 'holding power' and they help birders get looks at birds as
the birds swashbuckle around eating fruits.

I like to get longer, better, and repeated looks (and photo opportunities)
at migrants at sites with edge habitat, vine tangles and early successional
habitat in a mix - versus the birding experience of "glimpse it for a few
seconds and then it's gone forever" so common at ridgetop migration birding
spots - not my cup of tea at all. And sure, forest canopies provide
great food and habitat for migrating birds, but they do not often lead to
good close observation and photo opportunities.

I and others have routes where there are 4-5 of these edge habitat migrant
traps (often along waterways) within close proximity so you can make a
circuit and work them in a morning's birding. The Walcott Tract is one of
them.

Wayne - I completely agree that native vine tangles are great places for
migrating birds and birders. They have abundant fruit and insects to eat,
as well as good cover. But in SOME cases, vines that gain the upper hand
in an area can prevent forest succession from taking place. For example:
in a clearing at Santee NWR at the Bluff Unit (usually referred to as the
vine tangle) , ever since Hurricane Hugo knocked down most of the trees and
created a clearing in 1989, new saplings have been unable to make it to
maturity since vines smother them before they get tall enough to shade the
vine competition. There are a handful of taller / medium sized trees that
made it through Hugo but over time they are getting degraded and smothered
by the vines - and no replacement trees survive for very long. Once in a
while there is a windstorm strong enough to rip some vines off trees
without taking out the trees, but this is usually a delaying action and the
vines come back and eventually gain the upper hand. Besides the 'vine
tangle', vines are also taking over and preventing trees from reaching
maturity around the Ft. Watson Indian Mound at Santee NWR. I could list
many more examples.

There are also areas at the Walcott Tract where vines (some non-native) are
overwhelming trees including Tupelos with valuable drupes. Week before
last we were enjoying many thrushes, Grosbeaks and Tanagers in a couple of
Tupelo trees that were in the process of succumbing to vines. But the
trees were up steep brushy slopes (in the microburst storm area) and would
be hard to access to do vine control work.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

--
flickr.com/photos/offshorebirder2

"These days I prefer to hunt with a camera. A good photograph demands more
skill from the hunter, better nerves and more patience than the rifle
shot." -- Bror Blixen

Join us on Facebook!