Date: 10/1/24 4:34 pm
From: Naomi Lloyd via groups.io <naomi_kestrel...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Upcoming field trips: 10/5 Five Rivers; 10/6 Bog Meadow

Saturday, October 5, Five Rivers EEC (Albany County; morning)

Coordinator: Tristan Lowery 646-323-8914 <tristanlowery...>

We’ll walk about 2 miles over generally flat terrain with some small hills, passing through a variety of habitats. Migrating sparrows are often abundant at this time of the year, with a good chance of Lincoln’s and White-crowned as well as more common species. Both species of kinglet may be present, as well as Yellow-rumped Warbler, Palm Warbler and Blue-headed Vireo. A late Nashville, Black-throated Green, Blackpoll or Magnolia Warbler might be found. Wood Duck and other waterfowl are possible, as well as Cooper’s and Sharp-shinned Hawks and Merlin. Wet grass and muddy spots may be encountered, so waterproof footwear is recommended.

Meet at 8:00 a.m. in the parking lot at Five Rivers EEC in Delmar.

Sunday, October 6, Bog Meadow Brook (Saratoga County; morning)

Coordinator: Ron Harrower <ronharrower14...>

Bog Meadow Brook Trail, an old rail trail just east of Saratoga Springs, runs along the northern edge of a swamp and consists of wetland habitat with two ponds with a wet mixed forest in between. In October, sparrows are moving in and late migrants are still present. There should be a good variety of waterfowl and lingering shorebirds are possible.

Meet at 8:00 a.m. at the trailhead pull-off on Meadowbrook Road, about 0.3 mile west of Stafford Bridge Rd/Rt. 67. If we have enough participants, we will stage some vehicles at the Lake Ave end to save walking the round trip.

Naomi Lloyd
Field Trip Committee