Date: 10/1/24 11:25 am
From: Gjon Hazard via groups.io <gjon_hazard...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Santa Rosa Island
My wife and I spent a pleasant weekend (9/28-9/30) on Santa Rosa Island, camping at the developed campground in Water Canyon and hiking some of the trails in the area. I birded all the while, especially the trees around the old ranch area. Highlights (rarities) included a Phainopela in Water Canyon and 2 White-winged Doves around the old ranch. There were no migrants to speak of on Sunday, and a handful of singles on Monday. I will be posting eBird lists at some point soon.

The island was great (my first trip), but an absolutely amazing event was on the way back. (Surpassing even the boat going all the way into Painted Cave!) After picking up folks at Scorpion Landing on Santa Cruz, our Island Packers boat was “hijacked” by a pair of humpback whales on the way back to the mainland.

As Island Packers is wont to do, they made an effort to show the passengers marine wildlife along the way. We stopped for a couple of humpbacks, and they took a fancy to the ship. They were underneath the boat, blowing bubbles. They blew spouts right next by, repeatedly coating us with their odiferous spray. They were spy-hopping within feet; passengers could nearly touch them! The whales wouldn’t let us go!

By law, the ship could not run the props with them so close. The sun sank into the fog. It was getting dark. We were past the time we should be back at the dock. Finally, after 45 minutes of up close and personal time, we were able to slip away, with everyone on board with their personal and digital memory banks filled with a lifetime experience. Thank you Island Packers!

Happy trails.

-Gjon

--
-Gjon Hazard