Date: 10/1/24 11:10 am
From: John Edmondson <johnhedmondson...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Arlington Reservoir Sunday Sept 29
Hi all,

Belated report. 4 birders joined me at the Arlington Reservoir this last
Sunday on an overcast and somewhat windy but otherwise pleasant morning.
Some highlights were a Peregrine Falcon and a Cooper's Hawk. The Peregrine
was a young bird and it passed over the reservoir multiple times and chased
things. I also saw this bird a couple of weeks ago at the reservoir so I
imagine it is a regular. It settled in a tree and we had good scope views.
Also a Cooper's Hawk came in and spent time in the same tree as the falcon
and we had good scope views of that as well. It was a bit quiet for
shorebirds. I did see some peeps that never settled anywhere for us to ID.
There was a Spotted Sandpiper, a good number of Semipalmated Plovers, and
many Killdeer. In the farm area we had Savannah and Swamp Sparrows in
addition to Song Sparrows. There were Yellow-rumps along the back of the
swimming area but we didn't spot any other warblers. A Belted Kingfisher
and Green-winged Teal were nice to see (or hear) too.

I recommend checking out the reservoir from time to time during the fall. I
especially like looking for shorebirds there and if the Peregrine is away
for a bit they will be more likely or visible. People have seen Snipe and
even a Sora recently there.

Good Birding!

John

If you were there and want to add this trip to your ebird, click this link.
https://ebird.org/mychecklists?subID=UzE5Njg3NjQwMA==&s=t

Arlington Reservoir, Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
Sep 29, 2024 7:33 AM - 9:26 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.14 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: 4 plus leader
24 species

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) 2
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) 3
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 40
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca) 12
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 27
Semipalmated Plover (Charadrius semipalmatus) 3
Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius) 1
Double-crested Cormorant (Nannopterum auritum) 1
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 2
Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) 1
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens) 2
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus) 1 Heard
Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 4
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 1
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 1
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) 2
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 2
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis) 1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 5
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana) 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata) 8

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S196876400

--
Group home page:
https://menotomybirdclub.com/