Date: 9/28/24 5:53 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via groups.io <sanchezucsb11...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Bella Vista Drive Hawk Watch Sept. 28
I ran into Daniel Farrar at Bella Vista this afternoon.  After a a slow start, we had good luck with Broadwings.  We had our first one (an adult) at around 4 p.m., and at about 4:20, had two more--another adult and a juvenile.  Earlier, we also had a small buteo circling under a huge kettle of Turkey Vultures well to the south of us.  It was just too far away to get sufficient detail to identify it.
In addition to the Broadwings, we had a pair of Cooper's Hawks, a Red-shouldered Hawk calling, a Falcon sp., and numerous Red-tails.  At one point, we had a group of 6 Red-tails circling over the bluff, all adults, some calling, and some dragging legs.  A nice display.
Just as Daniel drove off, I spotted a Cooper's Hawk and Sharp-shinned Hawk circling together above two Red-tails.  Easy to compare the difference in size, tail shape, wingbeats, and head projection.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#37836): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/37836
Updated status and distribution of Santa Barbara County birds: http://www.sbcobirding.com/lehmanbosbc.html
For guides to birding eBird Hotspots in SB, see https://birdinghotspots.org/us/california/santa-barbara-county