Date: 9/27/24 6:59 am
From: lcarrigan_55 via groups.io <carriganbw...>
Subject: [IBLE] Fall Migration
There's been a definite increase in Fall migration activity this week. Starting with owls. This week, have awakened to ~2 AM calls from: N Pygmy, Saw-whet, W Screech & Great-horned Owls. The first two are "altitudinal migrants", tending to appear in the Fall as they descend from mountain to river valley levels, & one each on different nights. By personal choice, I don't play tapes or shine lights & only identify by their calls. When I get the occasional chance visual sighting, that's a bonus.

Yesterday evening, had a good rush of Yellow-rumped Warblers come through, around 40+, working at treetop height of cottonwoods & Russian olives trees. Others: House Wren, Red-naped Sapsucker & Red-breasted Nuthatch. Also, had a couple of 75+ Mallard group fly-overs. Along, with what's shaping up to be a banner color year & a respectable brown trout Fall-run, I'm definitely enjoying the season!

Brian Carrigan
Blackfoot