KSBIRD-L
Received From Subject
4/18/24 5:50 am Dallas Alexander <dallaspumpman1...> Possible magnificent frigatebird
4/17/24 11:22 am Jenn Rader <jennrader34...> Cherokee County new arrivals 4-17-24
4/17/24 9:09 am G & J Fenton Friesen <friesen.fenton...> Warbling Vireo
4/17/24 6:43 am Karl Grover <karl.grover52...> House wren
4/17/24 6:26 am Forrest Miller <forrestm...> Thrashers
4/16/24 8:35 pm Malcolm Gold <malcolmgold...> Request to Document Rare Birds Better
4/16/24 4:56 am Chuck Otte <cotte...> MIlford Lake Bird Walk, Saturday April 20
4/15/24 4:40 pm Arthur and Karen Nonhof <artnonhof...>
4/15/24 3:16 pm Laura Kirk <lauraellenkirk...> FOS ruby throat hummer
4/15/24 2:23 pm David Haight <dhaight1...> Keep sending e-bird messages
4/15/24 7:49 am Donna Meyer <51meyer50...> Black-bellied Whistling Duck
4/15/24 6:20 am Kat Farres <ozbelgnz...> FOS Scissortailed Flycatcher/ Saline CO 4/14/24
4/14/24 3:23 pm Logan Anderson <landerson14...> Tuttle Creek Reservoir -- Rock Wren and More
4/14/24 2:04 pm Max Thompson <maxt...> Slate Creek Wetlnds
4/13/24 3:29 pm Jay Jeffrey <jjtonbo...> MOTUS Murmurs
4/13/24 10:59 am Ted Cable <tcable...> Rock Wren update
4/8/24 9:55 am Brenda Pace <pacer3630...> White fronted geese
4/6/24 4:57 pm Brandon Magette <averbirder...> Pottawatomie and Wabaunsee Co Spring
4/4/24 7:13 pm Malcolm Gold <malcolmgold...> Spring Burroughs Field Trips - Kansas City Area Primarily but an open invitation to all to join our MN trip!
4/4/24 5:13 am Sebastian Patti <sebastianpatti...> Fw: [OKBIRDS] Berlin Heck
4/2/24 7:17 pm Chuck Otte <cotte...> Passing of Jim Mayhew
4/2/24 9:26 am Chuck Otte <cotte...> County Checklists are Updated (long)
4/1/24 12:51 pm Donna Meyer <51meyer50...> Lesser Goldenfinch
3/27/24 9:19 am M. Dennice Craig <mdcraigster...> Signs of Spring…just SE of Derby
3/21/24 10:17 am Sebastian Patti <sebastianpatti...> Re: Louisiana Waterthrush Cherokee County March 21, 2024
3/21/24 8:59 am Jenn Rader <jennrader34...> Louisiana Waterthrush Cherokee County March 21, 2024
3/19/24 1:15 pm Chuck Otte <cotte...> KOS Spring Meeting Registration now open
3/19/24 12:57 pm Jay Jeffrey <jjtonbo...> Whooping Cranes -- NGS
3/19/24 4:54 am Chuck Otte <cotte...> Milford Lake Bird Walk, Saturday March 23

Back to top
Date: 4/18/24 5:50 am
From: Dallas Alexander <dallaspumpman1...>
Subject: Possible magnificent frigatebird
This report is coming late. My brother told me yesterday that Tuesday afternoon he was sure a Frigatebird cruised over this property. He lives SE of the Shawnee county state lake 2 miles. This is northern Shawnee county. He has done plenty of traveling and has seen these birds. This is second hand information. But it may hold some water. Keep your eyes peeled!
Dallas Alexander
Sent from my iPhone
https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>

Back to top
Date: 4/17/24 11:22 am
From: Jenn Rader <jennrader34...>
Subject: Cherokee County new arrivals 4-17-24
I took my nature center staff person on a trail walk to teach her some bird
and plant identification on the Schermerhorn Park trails this morning.
We had some new arrivals for the season:

Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-eyed Vireo
Prothonotary Warbler
Baltimore Oriole

It was a beautiful morning to be out.
A full list can be found here:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S169047952

Happy Spring Birding!

Jenn Rader
Galena, KS

Date: 4/17/24 9:09 am
From: G & J Fenton Friesen <friesen.fenton...>
Subject: Warbling Vireo
I had a singing Warbling Vireo at HV County East Lake today. I also had
two singing Orange-crowned Warblers on the Sand Creek Bike Path in Newton.
Harris's Sparrows continue with a variety of vocalizations.

Gregg

--
Gregg & Joanna Fenton Friesen
Newton, KS

Date: 4/17/24 6:43 am
From: Karl Grover <karl.grover52...>
Subject: House wren
I heard my FOS house wren this morning while jogging.

About 13 miles north of Larned.

Karl Grover, Pray for our nation.

Date: 4/17/24 6:26 am
From: Forrest Miller <forrestm...>
Subject: Thrashers
Hearing Brown Thrashers singing away in the morning is one of the best
parts of spring. They are back in Harvey County and filling the air with
song. Have a great day all.

Forrest Miller
Newton, KS

Date: 4/16/24 8:35 pm
From: Malcolm Gold <malcolmgold...>
Subject: Request to Document Rare Birds Better
Hello Bird Watchers, Birders, Photographers, and Ornithologists,

As you are out enjoying nature and birds we ask that you please follow this
request when reporting species. The Kansas eBird review team and Kansas
Bird Records Committee (KBRC) are interested in data accuracy and the study
of unexpected species. To help us with that goal, we ask you to describe
flagged eBird sightings and rare bird sightings in general.

If you think you may have a rare bird please try to document it as best as
possible. Photos and a written description are useful in documentation and
when possible both are preferred. Stating the bird is mere "Continuing",
"seen well", "photos", or "no doubt" doesn't assist in these goals. If you
have taken photos add them to the report. There are many species that look
similar in appearance and your documentation is useful in separating
species.
https://support.ebird.org/en/support/solutions/articles/48000803130-how-to-document-your-sightings

We also ask that you familiarize yourself with the KBRC review list and
submit a report if the rare bird is listed on it. The species list includes
a column with "Justification for reporting" and you have multiple methods
of submitting a report included at the bottom of the page. Some of the
links on the page also reiterate how to document sightings.
https://www.ksbirds.org/KBRC/kbrcrvulist.html

Using eBird mobile or posting your sightings to the listserv or social
media contributes to the understanding of birds and affords others
information on where they might see certain species. Submitting
observations from the field in a timely manner for rare birds is
particularly impactful on others as you can sign up for alerts and receive
quick reports. If you submit to eBird, understand that sightings may be
flagged for multiple reasons beyond being a rare bird. This website
describes the review process. *If the species is flagged for a single bird
being entered, then you should include a description of what you saw on the
bird to eliminate other species. If a species is flagged for a specific
number, then you should describe how you arrived at the number you entered
into the checklist. *Stating that you have a picture or a recording but not
attaching it, stating seen by others, or any of the prior comments are not
helpful. With spring migration and early arrivals, don't be shocked if you
trip a filter and need to write something in your comments. With few
reviewers and some users that are not following the requests, it can be
tiring following up with everyone.
https://support.ebird.org/en/support/solutions/articles/48000795278-the-ebird-review-process

If you submit an eBird report for a species on the KBRC review list, note
you may receive an email from an eBird reviewer asking that you submit a
KBRC report. If you have already submitted a KBRC report or are aware that
one is needed and plan to submit one, you can simply note that in the
comments in addition to your other documentation.

Lastly, whether your eBird report is accepted or not it doesn't change your
list. Similarly, whether your KBRC report is approved or not doesn't change
your report and list. This process is about data accuracy and perhaps there
isn't enough evidence to verify the sighting. Your description of the bird
is needed to confirm records so your sighting will be included in the eBird
public data, with KBRC documentation, and for research purposes. With
different data archival methods and purposes we hope you use both.

Sincerely,

Malcolm Gold on behalf of the
Kansas Bird Records Committee and Kansas eBird Review Team
https://www.ksbirds.org/kos/kos_kbrc.htm

Date: 4/16/24 4:56 am
From: Chuck Otte <cotte...>
Subject: MIlford Lake Bird Walk, Saturday April 20
The monthly Milford Lake Bird Walk will be this Saturday, April 20. Meet at
8:00 a.m. in the parking lot at the south end of Milford Lake Dam (across the
highway from the Corps of Engineers Office - 5203 North K-57 Junction
City).

It may be breezy and cool so dress warm. This month's focus will be on
spring migrants. Walks usually last 2 to 3 hours, birds and weather
depending. If you have any questions, please contact me!

Chuck

Date: 4/15/24 4:40 pm
From: Arthur and Karen Nonhof <artnonhof...>
Subject:
<KSBIRD-L...>

Date: 4/15/24 3:16 pm
From: Laura Kirk <lauraellenkirk...>
Subject: FOS ruby throat hummer
I just saw my first ruby throat hummingbird at the feeder. Thanks to Chuck
Otte for the heads up/preparation. I also have mockingbirds, parulas back
on site.

--
*Laura Kirk*

*Lawrence, KS *
* <http://www.imdb.me/laurakirk>*

Date: 4/15/24 2:23 pm
From: David Haight <dhaight1...>
Subject: Keep sending e-bird messages
Please continue to send KS=<L...> messages to me at
<dhaight1...>

Thanks,

David Haight

Date: 4/15/24 7:49 am
From: Donna Meyer <51meyer50...>
Subject: Black-bellied Whistling Duck
The Black bellied Whistling Ducks have returned to their favorite tree across the alley from our backyard in Larned. The first year they arrived to the tree there was 2, last few years 3, this year looks like at least 6 the family is growing. In town Larned Pawnee Co our yard
Donna Meyer

Date: 4/15/24 6:20 am
From: Kat Farres <ozbelgnz...>
Subject: FOS Scissortailed Flycatcher/ Saline CO 4/14/24
Saw our first of season Scissortailed Flycatcher in far NW Saline CO on the evening of 4/14/24!
I spent the weekend sitting in a field near Kechi KS, and saw many Admiral butterflies, numerous little Crecents and a male and female very ‘fresh’ looking black Swallowtail butterflies, killdeer flying over, the resident geese grumbling a bit <G>.
Kat and Dennis Farres
Salina KS

Date: 4/14/24 3:23 pm
From: Logan Anderson <landerson14...>
Subject: Tuttle Creek Reservoir -- Rock Wren and More
Hey all,

This weekend I made a more concerted effort to get out and explore Tuttle Creek Reservoir and try to find some new migrants for my first spring living in Kansas. Yesterday, my girlfriend and I successfully chased the dam's resident Rock Wren, and while walking back to the car I flushed a beautiful FOY LeConte's Sparrow and FOY Marsh Wren from the tinniest patch of horsetails (https://ebird.org/checklist/S168406221). Today, some friends of mine and I explored the Fancy Creek area. We had flyover White-faced Ibis, Franklin's Gulls, an Upland Sandpiper, and a Vesper Sparrow (https://ebird.org/checklist/S168554892 - 57 species). While visiting Fancy Creek, I noticed a ton of birds gathering on the mudflats off of the Randolph Park area, south of the bridge.

So, I gathered the troops, and we visited the parkscoping from the east ridge overlooking the mudflats. There were four dozen godwits, mostly Hudsonian with some Marbled mixed in, two dozen White-faced Ibis, 4-digit Franklin's Gull numbers, and hundreds of peeps. From on top of the ridge, I was able to pick out a breeding plumage Piping Plovera first record record for the Fancy Creek area, according to eBird. We decided to bushwack our way down the ridge to get a closer look. Once we got closer, one Piping Plover turned into two, and two turned into four! To our surprise, a Snowy Plover was also mixed in as well! Sadly, my camera was dead, so my pictures were all poor from digiscoping, but we still had an amazing morninghigh fives all around.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S168593751

Happy Trails,
Logan Anderson

Date: 4/14/24 2:04 pm
From: Max Thompson <maxt...>
Subject: Slate Creek Wetlnds
Gene Young and I birded the wetlands this morning. Water is scarce on state
land. Where there was water, there were birds. Below is the list observed.

I continue to be swamped with Pine Siskins.30-50 are at the feeders in
Winfield.. They have consumed around 150# of sunflower chips this season.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S168630342

Max C. Thompson

1729 E. 11th Ave

Winfield, KS 67156

Date: 4/13/24 3:29 pm
From: Jay Jeffrey <jjtonbo...>
Subject: MOTUS Murmurs
Migration dialing it up…but like today’s CVT vehicle transmissions –
continuously variable.
MOTUS Says:
Sprague’s Pipits have been coming through, e.g., at Kirwin NWR,
intermittently pinging the feathered passerby.

--

*Jay Jeffrey*
*POTT CO.*

“There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot.”
– Aldo Leopold

Date: 4/13/24 10:59 am
From: Ted Cable <tcable...>
Subject: Rock Wren update
Just an update that the Rock Wren in Tuttle Creek State Park was still present this morning. It was singing its heart out just east of the self-pay station. Ted

Date: 4/8/24 9:55 am
From: Brenda Pace <pacer3630...>
Subject: White fronted geese
There are 3 white fronted geese in a field near the Ninnescah River in Kingman County approx 5 miles west & 1 1/2 miles west of Kingman on the west side of the road.

Date: 4/6/24 4:57 pm
From: Brandon Magette <averbirder...>
Subject: Pottawatomie and Wabaunsee Co Spring
I had twenty or so Chipping Sparrows blow in to the yard today, and while
mushroom hunting along the mighty Kaw River in Wabaunsee County I heard a N
Parula. A resident pair of Pileated Woodpeckers were being very vocal.

Brandon Magette of St Marys, mobile @ 785-844-0139

Date: 4/4/24 7:13 pm
From: Malcolm Gold <malcolmgold...>
Subject: Spring Burroughs Field Trips - Kansas City Area Primarily but an open invitation to all to join our MN trip!
Hello All,

I hope all are enjoying the spring ephemerals, the longer days, warmer
weather, and the first of year arrivals for some short and long distance
migrants. Burroughs Audubon Society of Kansas City has a variety of field
trips planned over the coming months that focus on spring migration and an
introduction to birding. Everyone is invited to each of these trips. There
is no membership requirement and each trip is open to everyone of all skill
levels and interests.

Please check the website for additional details on the trips listed below
and check back on the website if inclement weather is of concern.
Additional trips are still in the works and will be added as dates and
details are finalized. Check the website (
http://burroughs.org/its-free/field-trips-programs/) and/or Burroughs
Audubon facebook events (https://www.facebook.com/AudubonKC) to see added
trips as well as note any changes from the original plan. Below are dates
and locations.

*KC Area trips*Wednesday, April 10th – Tomahawk Creek Park
Saturday, April 20th – Beginner Birding/Nature Adventurepack Program KCK
Sunday, April 21st – Wilderness Wetlands
Wednesday, April 24th – Tomahawk Creek Park
Saturday, April 27th – Beginner Birding/Nature Adventurepack Program
Louisburg
Saturday, April 27th – Beginner Birding/Nature Adventurepack Program Paola
Saturday, May 4th – Beginner Birding/Nature Adventurepack Program Osawatomie
Monday, May 6th – Burr Oak Woods
Tuesday, May 7th – Jerry Smith Park Spring Migration Bird Census
Saturday, May 11th – Beginner Birding/Nature Adventurepack Program Olathe
Monday, May 13th – Beginner Birding/Bird Walk at Meadowbrook Club House
Tuesday, May 14th – Blue Springs Lake and Wetlands
Saturday, June 1st – Adventure Day/Nature Adventurepack Program Overland
Park
Saturday, June 8th – Beginner Birding/Nature Adventurepack Program Basehor

*Extended trip to MN*
Saturday, May 25th through Monday, May 27th – Sax-Zim Bog and the
Northwoods of Minnesota (confirmation ahead of time is requested for
coordination )

Please reach out to myself or the trip leaders detailed on the website or
FB events with any questions. If you are interested in leading or
co-leading any trip please let Mike or myself know. We wish everyone a
birdy spring, great weather, and enjoyable spring KOS and MBS meetings as
well.

Good Birding.

Malcolm Gold (Overland Park, Kansas)
Volunteer BAS Field-Trip Coordinator with Mike Stoakes

Date: 4/4/24 5:13 am
From: Sebastian Patti <sebastianpatti...>
Subject: Fw: [OKBIRDS] Berlin Heck
Here's a thread from OK Birds . . . many folks in KS knew BERLIN HECK . . .

Good guy and a real character . . . I use the word "character" in the most complimentary and loving way.

<sebastianpatti...>
Sebastian T. Patti
552 W. Belden Ave.
Chicago, ILLINOIS 60614-3354

--
Mia Revels, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology

**CONFIDENTIALITY** -This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information. Any unauthorized disclosure or use of this information is prohibited.

Date: 4/2/24 7:17 pm
From: Chuck Otte <cotte...>
Subject: Passing of Jim Mayhew
Some of the more long time birders will remember Jim Mayhew. Jim was
KOS President for two years in the early 1990s. Jim passed away yesterday
at his home in Abilene. Funeral services are pending. Jim was a friend and
was invariably trying to get me into something new or different. He was a
good guy and will be missed.

Chuck

Date: 4/2/24 9:26 am
From: Chuck Otte <cotte...>
Subject: County Checklists are Updated (long)
Good Day KSBirders!

With spring migration preparing to explode, and a gray day hindering some
of us from birding, I might as well hit you with the latest round of county
checklist updates. The list follows below. County name is followed by the
number of species now on that county's list and then a listing of the recent
additions. Any species name followed by an asterisk (*) indicates a confirmed
breeding record for that county. The checklist index page is linked from the
ksbirds.org homepage or you can get there directly at:

https://www.ksbirds.org/checklist/checklist_index.htm

Everything at the County Check-list home page is updated EXCEPT the
county dot maps. Those should be done by the end of April. As always, if you
have any issues accessing any of the information on that page, please
contact me!

These updates include everything reported to me as of late March. They also
reflect all actions by the Kansas Bird Records Committee for 2023 (and a
couple of very early 2024 records). Don't look for the Sedgwick County
Rosy-Finch or the Shawnee County Eurasian Tree Sparrow as those records
have not been acted on yet by the KBRC. A new species WAS added to the
Kansas Check-list in 2023. Mexican Duck becomes the 486th species on the
state checklist thanks to a very well documented record from Hamilton
County.

For those who like the detail of the numbers here we go:
71 counties had updates to their check-list
Total county ticks is now 30,268 (one species in once county is one tick)
That is an increase of 147 since the November updates.
106 species will have updates to their county dot maps

I must thank Dan Larson for his annual review of accepted eBird records
against the county check-lists. The hours he spends doing this saves me
hours on my end! thank you Dan!!

As always, if you have a non-listed species on your county lists, send me the
details so we can get it added!

Chuck

Allen, 271 - Common Ground-Dove, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Neotropic
Cormorant, Long-eared Owl, Pine Warbler

Anderson, 283 - Blackburnian Warbler

Atchison, 284 - Cinnamon Teal

Barber, 291 - Western Wood-Pewee

Bourbon, 252 - Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Butler, 306 - Short-billed Dowitcher

Cherokee, 283 - Neotropic Cormorant

Clark, 303 - Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Alder Flycatcher

Cloud, 258 - Trumpeter Swan

Coffey, 319 - Pacific Loon

Comanche, 279 - Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Iceland Gull

Crawford, 304 - Long-tailed Duck, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Western
Tanager

Dickinson, 279 - Tundra Swan, American Black Duck

Doniphan, 267 - Neotropic Cormorant, Veery

Edwards, 240 - Pileated Woodpecker

Ellsworth, 313 - Great Black-backed Gull, Cave Swallow, Nelsons Sparrow

Finney, 358 - Greater Roadrunner, Alder Flycatcher

Franklin, 278 - Virgina Rail, Sanderling, Black-crowned Night-Heron,
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

Gove, 249 - Common Merganser, Red-breasted Merganser, Sanderling,
Western Flycatcher

Graham, 224 - Greater Prairie-Chicken*, Lesser Prairie-Chicken, Lesser
Prairie-Chicken*, Stilt Sandpiper, Tennessee Warbler

Grant, 283 - White-rumped Sandpiper, Tennessee Warbler

Gray, 251 - Black-bellied Plover, Snowy Owl, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,
Blue-headed Vireo, Rock Wren

Greeley, 227 - White-rumped Sandpiper

Greenwood, 272 - Limpkin

Hamilton, 290 - Mexican Duck, Hammonds Flycatcher, Eastern Meadowlark,
Black-throated Green Warbler

Harper, 271 - Lesser Black-backed Gull

Haskell, 255 - Common Loon, Snowy Egret

Jefferson, 343 - Annas Hummingbird

Jewell, 256 - Black-bellied Plover, Veery

Johnson, 348 - Sage Thrasher

Kearny, 290 - Broad-tailed Hummingbird

Kingman, 310 - Alder Flycatcher, Gray-cheeked Thrush

Kiowa, 288 - Virginia Rail, Hudsonian Godwit, Buff-breasted Sandpiper,
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Sedge Wren, Mourning Warbler

Labette, 279 - Neotropic Cormorant, Spragues Pipit

Lane, 231 - Carolina Wren, Marsh Wren

Leavenworth, 298 - Swallow-tailed Kite

Lincoln, 258 - Bewicks Wren

Linn, 342 - Inca Dove, Great Black-backed Gull

Logan, 250 - Eastern Meadowlark

Marion, 303 - Dunlin

McPherson, 306 - Annas Hummingbird

Miami, 319 - Bay-breasted Warbler

Mitchell, 300 - Cinnamon Teal, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Willow Flycatcher,
Sedge Wren, Northern Waterthrush, Mourning Warbler

Montgomery, 269 - Nelsons Sparrow

Morris, 261 - Mourning Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler

Neosho, 308 - Worm-eating Warbler

Osborne, 243 - Sedge Wren

Ottawa, 253 - Red-breasted Merganser, Snow Bunting

Pottawatomie, 337 - Eurasian Wigeon

Pratt, 316 - White-tailed Kite, Common Redpoll

Reno, 352 - Yellow-billed Loon, Glossy Ibis

Republic, 248 - Common Loon, Barn Owl, Northern Parula

Rice, 259 - Rock Wren

Riley, 365 - Pomarine Jaeger, Parasitic Jaeger

Rooks, 286 - Surf Scoter

Russell, 343 - Glossy Ibis

Saline, 287 - Peregrine Falcon

Scott, 315 - Ruby-throated Hummingbird, American Bittern, Pine Grosbeak,
Thick-billed Longspur, Mourning Warbler

Shawnee, 341 - Black-necked Stilt, California Gull, Snow Bunting

Sheridan, 241 - Little Blue Heron, Nashville Warbler, Mourning Warbler

Sherman, 293 - Red-breasted Merganser, Brewers Sparrow

Smith, 224 - Bonapartes Gull, Broad-winged Hawk, Townsends Solitaire,
Hermit Thrush

Stanton, 253 - Western Flycatcher

Stevens, 259 - Hooded Merganser, Clarks Grebe, Whooping Crane,
Common Raven, Winter Wren, Eastern Towhee, Hooded Warbler

Sumner, 331 - Glaucous Gull

Thomas, 231 - Lesser Prairie-Chicken

Trego, 275 - Pine Grosbeak

Wabaunsee, 286 - American Black-Duck, Sandhill Crane, Lesser
Black-backed Gull

Washington, 270 - Tundra Swan, Short-eared Owl, Golden-winged Warbler

Wichita, 228 - Common Merganser, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Eastern
Meadowlark

Wilson, 253 - Black Vulture

Date: 4/1/24 12:51 pm
From: Donna Meyer <51meyer50...>
Subject: Lesser Goldenfinch
Male Western Lesser Goldenfinch first of season our backyard in town Larned Pawnee Co. Will try for a picture he most of came with the little cold front that past thru earlier. Great way to start the birding year

Donna Meyer
Larned,Ks

Date: 3/27/24 9:19 am
From: M. Dennice Craig <mdcraigster...>
Subject: Signs of Spring…just SE of Derby
First, a really big deal.
We have an old farm pond…cottonwoods, dogwoods, not much water. For past three years this pond has been the battleground of our Cooper’s Hawks (successfully raising fledglings for many years prior) and our family of Crows. Crows have won…never once permitting a hawk to land in the cottonwoods. Scouts? spot the intruder and the group harasses it until it leaves. Sometimes a second hawk is nearby…it is possible they found nest sites nearby but pond belonged to crows.
This week I saw Cooper’s mating in their cottonwoods. Not one crow around. They were unbothered. Very exciting because I have time to get my camera attached to my scope. Once leaves come out I won’t be able to see their antics.
What happened? Something changed. Crows were chasing hawks this past winter—-hawks use my feeders as “forage”… I never see a successful kill…actually saw a hawk attack around time of GBBC. Usually, I see the birds scramble—out here for 50 years and have rarely seen the hawk first.
Second,
A Bluebird male just chased away juncos squatting Inside his nest box this cold, cold morning. Too far to see well…quite a kerfuffle of blue flapping wings at entrance—and little black and white birds (not chicadees) protesting an eviction. I expect bluebirds in February but saw none. I did set up more houses for bluebirds.
Third,
Phoebe is always first sign—weeks ago, hear him all around house. Now, Mourning Doves calling here and there—poaching seed, mealworms, suet debris from feeder areas. I have more flat feeders now—-easier to keep food out than chasing down stolen-by-raccoon feeders. I’m getting too old to fight for my feeders.
Fourth,
Group of a dozen turkeys walked past my gardens and feeders just two days ago. On next day my 18 month old puppy (35 pound mini sheepadoodle) spotted a huge one following the path the flock had taken. He is a responsible guard dog out here (except I won’t allow a coyote encounter).
When he bravely trotted toward that turkey, and it opened its wings and jumped into flight—both were startled . That turkey dwarfed him in size and shot straight up. Young dog stood his ground and watched as that magnificent animal took his leave. He now watches constantly for this new danger.

Just grateful to see the sun, get the rain, watch for native plants, haul seeds to feeders, and observe birds from dining room windows. An excellent cold weather pastime!
Sincerely,
Dennice Craig, from a pond just SE of Derby Kansas.

Date: 3/21/24 10:17 am
From: Sebastian Patti <sebastianpatti...>
Subject: Re: Louisiana Waterthrush Cherokee County March 21, 2024
It's spring!!!

Date: 3/19/24 1:15 pm
From: Chuck Otte <cotte...>
Subject: KOS Spring Meeting Registration now open
Good afternoon KSBirders!

The KOS Spring Meeting/Field trips will be held May 3 - 5, 2024 in
Manhattan, with field trips to Riley, Pottawatomie, and Geary Counties.
Registration is now open. It can be found linked from the KSBIRDS
homepage:
https://ksbirds.org/
or directly at:
https://ksbirds.org/kos/Spring2024/kos_2024_spring_meeting.htm

Saturday night we will be having a pizza party gathering back in Manhattan.
The cost of this is included with the registration fee.

If you have any questions or problems with any of the pages send me a
message!

Chuck

Date: 3/19/24 12:57 pm
From: Jay Jeffrey <jjtonbo...>
Subject: Whooping Cranes -- NGS
FYI – National Geographic, new April 2024 issue has a content-filled
article on Whooping Cranes. Photographs by Michael Forsberg.

Jay Jeffrey
Pott Co.

Date: 3/19/24 4:54 am
From: Chuck Otte <cotte...>
Subject: Milford Lake Bird Walk, Saturday March 23
The first Milford Lake Bird Walk of the season will be this Saturday, March
23rd. Meet at the parking lot at the south end of the dam (across from the
Corps of Engineer's Office, 5203 North K-57 Junction City) at 8:00 a.m.
Walks usually last 2 to 3 hours depending on the birds and the weather. If
you have any questions, contact me!

Chuck

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>