Date: 10/9/19 4:33 pm
From: 'TOM BEAL' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Bird Bath Story ... not a happy ending
This is sad. Possum consume lots of ticks, the bane of birdwatchers.

On Oct 9, 2019, at 8:46 AM, James Wilson <birdmanjfw...> wrote:

I have 3 water features for the birds and for anyone else that needs a drink. One is the standard concrete bird bath. When I awoke on Saturday morning, I noticed that it was laying upside down on the ground near its stand. I figured that some animal had stopped by for a drink during the night and knocked it off the pedestal. Saturday and Sunday were busy so it was not until Monday morning when I got out the scrub brush and soap to clean it up.

When I flipped it over I was startled (to put it mildly) to find a dead possum. Somehow it had managed to flip the basin off the pedestal and get trapped under it. I could not see that it had been crushed in any way and there was evidence that it tried to dig out.

Most upsetting.

Jim Wilson
Queenstown