Date: 9/29/19 9:31 am
From: Michael Bolte <mjbolte...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] No Impending Bird Apocalypse?
The is a good piece. I would not call it a "rebuttal' to the original
article, but it does full out the story in an interesting way. Anyone
reading the original article could have noted the same things (for example,
a significant part of the decline was in invasive species). The linked
article above also addresses (in part) a different topic than the health of
bird populations in North America. Anytime you mix science study results
and the popular press there is a level of sensationalization that seems
inevitable. The question posed (but not answered) is "does the benefit of
bringing wide coverage to a topic outweigh the downside of the hyperbole
and possible loss of credibility that goes with selling stories?".