Date: 9/25/19 5:21 pm
From: Fred Kaluza <fkaluza...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Decline of the North American avifauna - "3 billion birds" paper

“What can be done?  I leave this to others.”?  Humans are the number one threat to everything...even other humans.  The only thing that will work is a total collapse of industrial and technological civilization combined with the removal of 99% of humanity.  Perhaps that will get us back to a world in balance.  It may even already be too late to repair things with those fixes.  The only “Green Jobs” that make sense to me are walking around with a stick herding livestock or poking holes in the ground.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 1:05 PM -0400, "Larry Nooden" <ldnum...> wrote:

I would like to shift this discussion to underlying causes starting with the idea that once again birds serving as sensitive environmental indicators of problems that impact us directly and indirectly, for example the canaries that warned of toxic gases in coal mine tunnels and Bald Eagles showed the effects of bioaccumulation of endocrine-hormone mimics polluting our environment.
Yes, human populations may be the most important driver of bird decline through primary and secondary effects which are very diverse including habitat loss,
and yesterday's (Tues.) New York Times has a followup article:
Birds’ Top Danger? Humanshttps://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/17/science/hurricanes-birds-threat.html
following:

The Crisis for Birds Is a Crisis for Us All
The mass disappearance of North American birds is a dire warning about the planet’s well-being. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/19/opinion/crisis-birds-north-america.html
Solutions?
Unless solutions are addressed, this discussion is little more than rearranging the deck chairs on the sinking Titanic rather than trying to plug/contain the leak.

This brings us to root causes/solutions where I would emphasize the failures of our policy makers (politicians) to act in the interest of the Public (the 99% of us).  To illustrate this, I will cite 2 examples of environmental policy  that effect birds but impact us directly.
1. We have a political party that denies the extensive, long known science* on the impacts of fossil fuel consumption (CO2 release) on our world.
2. We  have a president who not only does not care but makes up his own science, and then tries to punish scientists who correct him.  The recent Hurricane Dorian forecast incident illustrates this all too clearly:https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/15/us/birmingham-national-weather-service-dorian.htmlhttps://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/climate/hurricane-dorian-trump-tweet.htmlIf uncorrected, this would have created a public safety hazard, but he still spent the next 2 days criticizing the hurricane forecasters rather than minding the weather crisis.  To use another Titanic metaphor, this incident is only the "tip of an iceberg" of his leadership actions.
What can be done?   I leave this to others

*A science summary:
By 1989, the science of global wrming/climate change was quite clear:Houghton, R. A. and G. M. Woodwell (1989). Global Climatic Change. Scientific American. 260: 36-44.
Global Climatic Change
http://www.jstor.org/stable/24987210?casa_token=Y7WxzKn7FlEAAAAA:5Gvci1pxin-ljBCOHj0QfElJBwrHwnX1nLyQ5EiEMcChdisDl09-ydaTawVUJinqDuKWrAQh6aTf6mRxdneH757FFpehcAas1jZJ_T8svve83ZrRdQA
Denial:
Evidence suggests that production of carbon dioxide and methane  om human activities has already begun to change the c mate and that radical steps must be taken to halt any  further change

https://journals.openedition.org/ejas/10305https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=RsYr_iQUs6QC&oi=fnd&pg=PA144&dq=Republican+denial+of+climate+change&ots=r6QJ45jf2D&sig=PtaptG0CEwu8wnhc0k9TgVurOFI#v=onepage&q=Republican%20denial%20of%20climate%20change&f=false

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 12:52 AM Roger Kuhlman <rkuhlman...> wrote:

I am very sorry to point out the basic ecological truth concerning the present loss of biodiversity and climate change that it ecologically impossible to have 7.7 billion people in the World all consuming at average American consumption
levels let alone 10 to 11 billion in 2100. Expect much more species extinctions, biodiversity and natural habitat loss in the future.

I would also point out that I did not say that rich American White Men and Evil Greedy American corporations have no responsibility for North American bird loss only that they are not responsible for a majority or even most of it. Some
powerful political interests including many corporations in America want to spin it this way to advance their own political control and economic self-interests of building Big Federal Government-Corporation alliances. These are the people that are happy to
see fast population growth continue in America and the American population grow to 500 to 600 million by 2100 through Mass Immigration. I ask you if America is a mess environmentally today, how will having 500 to 600 million people in 2100 make it richer in
biodiversity and natural habitats. Clearly It Will Not.

Roger Kuhlman

Sent from
Mail for Windows 10

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email tobirders+<unsubscribe...>

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<20190923.095735.9552.5...>

--

Birders
is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org

---

You
received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Birders" group.

unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to birders+<unsubscribe...>

view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<DM6PR14MB2777C1E673B2AA54B3F72441C5850...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<DM6PR14MB277779D81CEA5A20908080A0C5840...>

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org