Date: 9/11/19 7:59 pm
From: Diana Beatty <otowi33.33...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Re: Hawk Identification help please
Mississippi Kites to my knowledge are unlikely to take a dove as prey;
they're not drastically larger than one to begin with, and they commonly
take insects that they catch in flight as prey - grasshoppers, odonata,
cicadas, etc. They do also eat small birds and lizards occasionally and
have been occasionally observed to take pieces of rabbit carrion, etc.
But I have my doubts they could handle a Eurasian Collared Dove. Here is
a short clip of some young Mississippi Kites I took a week or two ago for
comparison - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfVRr7vt7LI

Diana Beatty
El Paso County

--

******

All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the
old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.