Date: 9/11/19 3:13 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (11 Sep 2019) 99 Raptors

Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 99 602 602

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 13:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you to Tony for the visit and his help spotting Sharp-shinned hawks
in the sky.

Weather:
Another very hot day on the tower. Temperatures rose to 31 degrees Celsius
with very high humidity and calm winds from the South. Our day was cut
short by the thunderstorm that rocked the region. As soon as we heard
thunder, we left the tower, safety first!

Raptor Observations:
Another good day considering southern winds as we counted 99 raptors, all
mostly Sharp-shinned hawks (71). We observed more variety today with 7
species.

Non-raptor Observations:
Our highlights today were a Brown Thrasher and a Gray-Cheeked Thrush. We
also observed many Chimney Swifts and Killdeer migrating over the tower. It
seems that most of the swallows passed yesterday as we only counted 14 Tree
Swallows and 6 Barn Swallows, wishing them luck on migration!

Chimney Swift: 30
Killdeer: 19
Cedar Waxwing: 155
American Goldfinch: 40
Ruby-throated hummingbird: 4
Monarchs: 66
Black Saddlebags: 40

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59695496

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting rain for the morning and staying overcast for the
majority of the day. However, the winds are projected to have a northern
component to them all day. Hopefully raptors will take advantage of
favourable winds and average temperatures to migrate. We are expecting more
Sharp-shinned, Cooper's hawks and Harriers.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<605d7d921308c6cb737244333fa0df56...>