Date: 9/11/19 3:06 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, Sep 10, 2019: some good,shorebirds

Subject: Parker River National Wildlife Refuge, Sep 10, 2019: some good
shorebirds
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 00:19:26 -0400

Parker River National Wildlife Refuge
Sep 10, 2019 9:40 AM - 1:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
Comments: I birded with various folks, notably Bob Murphy and Steve
Bennett at the Bill Forward blind (which is as far as I went).
46 species (+1 other taxon)

Canada Goose 1 (!)
Gadwall 4
Mallard 75
American Black Duck 11
Green-winged Teal 15 Can't tell the subsp. in eclipse plumage.
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 16 at gate
Mourning Dove 11 at gate
Black-bellied Plover 7
American Golden-Plover 2 adult and juv at BFP
Semipalmated Plover 48
Stilt Sandpiper 2 BFP
Sanderling 42 lot 1 beach
Least Sandpiper 7
White-rumped Sandpiper 8 BFP
Semipalmated Sandpiper 135
Western Sandpiper 2 Both had reddish scaps and longer, droopier bills
than SESAs. One in main pan, one picked out at BFP by Bob Murphy.
Short-billed Dowitcher 31 many juvs
Long-billed Dowitcher 4 All seen in direct comparison with short-bills;
all 4 were bigger, darker, and longer-billed. Never saw them fly or
heard them vocalize.
Greater Yellowlegs 60
Lesser Yellowlegs 14
Ring-billed Gull 3 lot 1 beach
Herring Gull 25
Great Black-backed Gull 4
Common Loon 1 flyover
Double-crested Cormorant 14
Great Egret 6
Snowy Egret 2
Turkey Vulture 2
Osprey 3 At BFP platform. One adult brought a fish to a grown young on
the nest.
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1 not seen
Merlin 1 buzzed the shorebirds at the main salt pan
Eastern Phoebe 1
Eastern Kingbird 3
Blue Jay 8
Black-capped Chickadee 12
Tree Swallow 800
Gray Catbird 15
American Robin 30
Cedar Waxwing 4
American Goldfinch 6
Song Sparrow 4
Eastern Towhee 6
sparrow sp. 1
Red-winged Blackbird 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59666868

Jim Berry Ipswich, Mass. <jim.berry3...>

Join us on Facebook!