Date: 9/10/19 4:16 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (10 Sep 2019) 78 Raptors

Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 78 503 503

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Chip Ogglesby

Visitors:
We were visited by ERCA outreach staff with two groups of young and avid
birders, thank you stopping by!
We were also visited by Chip Ogglesby and a Kestrel, and by Bob Hall-Brooks
and a Peregrine falcon!

Weather:
What a hot day on the tower! The temperature reached 31 degrees Celsius at
12 o'clock. Not much of a breeze either, with very weak winds from the
South for most of day.

Raptor Observations:
Even with southerly winds we did observe 78 raptors, most of them
Sharp-shinned hawks (57) and American Kestrels (18). We also observed local
Ospreys and a non-migrating female Peregrine falcon.

Non-raptor Observations:
Today was all about the swallows. During the first hour, we counted 3,500
swallows flying above head and heading west! The mixed species flock was
approximately 60% Tree Swallow, 30% Purple Martin, 5% Barn Swallow and 5%
Bank Swallow.
The hot temperatures seemed to affect other passerines as there was little
warbler activity around the tower.

Cedar Waxwings: 202
Ruby-throated hummingbird: 10
Chimney Swift: 14

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59670878

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting another hot day with southern winds but we may be
interrupted by thunderstorms in the afternoon. However, there's plenty of
time for hawks to visit us in the morning. Hoping for more Sharp-shinned
hawks, Kestrel and maybe a kettle of Broad-winged hawks.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<e18858f00b5e025239547a65381a427b...>