Date: 9/6/19 11:40 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden, Techny North & Techny Basin Friday 9-6-19
Hello Bird People,

As it's too far for me to drive to see the Limpkin & I don't of anyone
else going I spent today doing what I do best which is local birding.
Went to the Botanic Garden, Techny North & Techny Basin.
The mud flats are back both at the Botanic Garden & Techny North but
the water is still too high for shorebirds at Techny Basin. Here's my
lists:

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:15-9:15 a.m.)

Mud Flats

D.C. Cormorant (2)
Great Blue Heron (2), Great Egret (1) & Green Heron (2)
Canada Goose (2 on the mud flats), Wood Duck (2), Mallard (6) & Green
Winged Teal (8)
OSPREY (1 soaring) & Red Tailed Hawk (1)
Killdeer (24) & Lesser Yellowlegs (1)
Solitary (1), Spotted (1), Semiplamated (2) & Least (1) Sandpipers
Herring Gull (2-AD)
Mourning Dove (2)
Kingfisher (1-F)
Goldfinch (2)
On the way back from the mud flats I saw a Crow, a chattering House
Wren & at the feeders
were House Finches & House Sparrows.

Techny North (9:40-10:15 a.m.)

D,C. Cormorant (1-AD & 1-IM)
Great Blue Heron (2), Great Egret (1) & Black Crowned Night Heron (1-IM)
Canada Goose (~30 fly-bys), Wood Duck (6) & Mallard (21)
Killdeer (16) & Lesser Yellowlegs (1)
Solitary (2), Spotted (1) & Least (4) Sandpipers
BAIRD'S SANDPIPER (2)
Ring Billed Gull (1 fly-by)
Chimney Swift (1)
Barn Swallow (4)

Techny Basin (10:25-11:10 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (5) & Great Egret (6)
Canada Goose (14 & 8 flying by)
Wood Duck (3) & Mallard (24)
Killdeer (the only shorebird was a "heard only" Killdeer)
Mourning Dove (3)
Eastern Kingbird (1-AD, still here)
Song Sparrow & Goldfinch (1 each)

Old Business Thur 9-5-19

Went with John Leonard to Piatt County near Allerton Park to look for
the Swallow Tailed Kite that has been seen here in the last few days
but did not find it. Looked from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. & then went to lunch &
came back & looked some more from 1:30-3 p.m. but still no luck.
Too bad as Craig T had just seen it the day before we were there. I
have now spent over 5 hours looking for this species & not finding it!

Bird-Of-The-Day for Thur 9-5-19 to the Bald Eagle seen while looking
for the Kite among the many Turkey Vultures.

Bird-Of-The-Day for Friday 9-6-19 to the Baird's Sandpipers seen at
Techny North &
Runner-Up to the Osprey seen at the CBG.

Al Stokie
Staying local in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: