Date: 8/28/19 2:53 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach & Illinois Beach South Plus 3 Quick Stops Wed 8-28-19
Hello Bird People,

Had 7 species of shorebirds at Waukegan , 1 more at Illinois Beach & 1
more at Manville for a total of 9 for the day.
Covered Waukegan with Andy Stewart & Annette M & did part of Illinois
Beach South with Andy. Had 1 rare bird & 3 other interesting birds.
Here's my lists:

Waukegan Beach (6:15-7:30 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (4)
Great Blue Heron (2 fly-bys)
Mallard (2), Shoveler (2) & B.W. Teal (19)
Killdeer (10, on the lawns)
Lesser Yellowlegs (1 flying by)
Spotted (2), Least (2) & Semipalmeted (22) Sandpipers (on various piers)
Sanderling (7)
RUDDY TURNSTONE (1-IM) (On Government Pier)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls
Chimney Swift (2)
Bank (1) & Barn (20) Swallows
Red Wings (2-M) & Grackle (1 fly-by)

Illinois Beach South Unit (8-9: 30 a.m.)
(I just did the beach but Andy went inland for land birds)
D,C. Cormorant (3)
Canada Goose (16)
OSPREY (1 & later 2 more together)
MERLIN (1)
Spotted Sandpiper (1)
WHIMBREL (1, flying south to north so not migrating)
(Shorebird species-flying south & of 2 different sizes but could not I.D. them)
Ring Billed (12) & Herring (2) Gulls
Chimney Swift (4)
Crow (2 on the beach & 2 inland)
Bank (2) & Barn (~50) Swallows

Made a quick stop at the Manville Ponds where Annette had found
Semipalmated Plover & Lesser Yellowlegs (1 each) & lots of unknown
ducks due to looking into the sun.

State Line Beach

No birds on the beach but 2 Cormorants & 26 R.B. Gulls on the channel wall.
Barn Swallows flying by.

Spring Bluff F.P.

Great Egrets (23), Canada Goose (1), Mallards (47), Killdeer (3) &
more Barn Swallows.

Bird-Of-The-Day to in flying Whimbrel & Runners-Up to the young Ruddy
Turnstone,
the 3 Osprey & the Merlin. It was a pretty good day!

Al Stokie
On the Lake County lakefront today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: