Date: 8/21/19 12:18 pm
From: Maggie peretto <wings.mp...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Sad news - Ida Giriunas
We will miss Ida dearly.

I was fortunate to join her last Maine Puffin trip. She knew this would be her last trip and secured new trip leaders to ensure that BBC Puffin trips would continue. She enjoyed seen others birding.

I witnessed Ida searching in Cape Cod for an Arctic tern under torrential rain. Very determined and looking strong while already battling her illness.

Soar free Ida!

Maggie Peretto
Manchester, CT

> On Aug 21, 2019, at 12:19 PM, Barbara Volkle <barb620...> wrote:
>
> With permission, I'm sharing these words from past BBC president Barbara Howell.
>

> Barbara Volkle
>
> Northborough, MA
>
> <barb620...>
>

> *
>
> Thanks Barbara for telling me about the death of Ida Giriunas in her 91st year of life. She never gave up . I can remember when she was first diagnosed with a type of leukemia that, in those days had no cure, but Ida lived with it and underwent difficult treatment for it for about a half a century. She was badly hurt in an auto accident on a birding trip, but she came through. When close to 90, she fell boarding a boat for a pelagic trip, but that didn't stop her from planning the next trip. When age prevented her from walking long distances, she arranged trips for those who also faced similar challenges.
> In her non-birding life, Ida was an R.N. in Neurology at Mass General. She had a long career in nursing and she always put the patient first.
> Ida grew up with music. She told me she played the piano while her brother played the violin. He went on to play in a major symphony orchestra as well as becoming an excellent birder like his sister. Birding and music often go together.
> I learned a great deal from Ida, not just about birding, but she was a great role model to learn from. People of Ida's character and strength are few and far between today. I feel so fortunate to have had her for a friend for so many years. Barbara Howell

Join us on Facebook!