Date: 8/13/19 7:54 am
From: Jane Flanigan <jane.flanigan...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: [wisb] Re: [wisb] Re: [wisb] Early Migration, …. Possibly
That's interesting because I've noticed an unusually high number of
Hummingbirds this summer here in Hazelhurst (Oneida county). In fact I had
a Hummingbird extravaganza early this morning. My two closest feeders to
the window can seat 10 at a time and all seats were taken with countless
others waiting and using other feeders:) That's the most I've ever seen
together! Made my day.
Jane Flanigan
Oneida County
On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 2:14 AM Kathi Johnson Rock <kathijr777...>
wrote:

> We have been developing a hummingbird habitat in the City of Madison and
> recording our daily sightings for 20 years. Typically, our greatest number
> of hummingbirds occurs in mid-September with the last birds seen in early
> to mid-October (although we had a RTHU until November 17 in 2010, our
> latest sighting.) We have noticed fewer hummingbirds in 2019 and in
> particular, adult male birds (we have not seen one since June 27!) We are
> hoping for our usual numbers in mid-September and maybe even well into
> October---they are predicting a warmer than typical October for Wisconsin,
> which is always great for hummingbirds and gardens!
> If you are interested in hummingbirds (and butterflies and bees), please
> join us for our upcoming Hummingbird Garden Tours on September 11 and
> 15---visit our website at www.hummingbirdgardening.net for details.
>
> Kathi and Michael Rock
> Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
>
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 3:57 PM Bill Volkert <billvolkert11...>
> wrote:
>
> > I also recently received questions about a reduction in hummingbirds
> > visiting feeders as well. My perspective on this is that while some
> > species of birds are known for early southern migration movements, such
> as
> > shorebirds showing up in Wisconsin in July and August followed by some
> > species of warblers moving through in August, the majority of birds will
> > not be departing their nesting grounds until a bit later in fall. What
> we
> > are seeing with many birds is that now they are done nesting they are no
> > longer tied to their territories. The young have fledged and are taking
> > flight (note that Canada geese have been moving around lately now that
> the
> > young of the year are able to fly) and they will begin to form flocks,
> but
> > this is more of a local movement of birds, or re-distribution, rather
> than
> > a departure.
> > While some people will see less birds of a particular species in their
> > area, others will likely see an increase as birds begin to flock together
> > rather than being more evenly dispersed across the land. In past years I
> > have received phone calls from listeners to WPR where one person would
> ask
> > where all of the robins have gone followed by someone else saying that
> they
> > have never seen so many in their neighborhood. Likewise, I would often
> be
> > asked when Canada geese actually migrate when people would see this local
> > movement of geese in early August around Horicon Marsh or other similar
> > areas. Some of this may actually be early molt migrants returning to the
> > area, but the first true migrating Canada geese traditionally show up
> > between the 17 and 21 of September. So this flocking behavior is a step
> [...]

*Jane Ann Flanigan*

*e-mail: <jane.flanigan...> <jane.flanigan...>*