Date: 8/13/19 12:14 am
From: Kathi Johnson Rock <kathijr777...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: [wisb] Re: [wisb] Early Migration, …. Possibly
We have been developing a hummingbird habitat in the City of Madison and
recording our daily sightings for 20 years. Typically, our greatest number
of hummingbirds occurs in mid-September with the last birds seen in early
to mid-October (although we had a RTHU until November 17 in 2010, our
latest sighting.) We have noticed fewer hummingbirds in 2019 and in
particular, adult male birds (we have not seen one since June 27!) We are
hoping for our usual numbers in mid-September and maybe even well into
October---they are predicting a warmer than typical October for Wisconsin,
which is always great for hummingbirds and gardens!
If you are interested in hummingbirds (and butterflies and bees), please
join us for our upcoming Hummingbird Garden Tours on September 11 and
15---visit our website at www.hummingbirdgardening.net for details.

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 3:57 PM Bill Volkert <billvolkert11...>
wrote:

> I also recently received questions about a reduction in hummingbirds
> visiting feeders as well. My perspective on this is that while some
> species of birds are known for early southern migration movements, such as
> shorebirds showing up in Wisconsin in July and August followed by some
> species of warblers moving through in August, the majority of birds will
> not be departing their nesting grounds until a bit later in fall. What we
> are seeing with many birds is that now they are done nesting they are no
> longer tied to their territories. The young have fledged and are taking
> flight (note that Canada geese have been moving around lately now that the
> young of the year are able to fly) and they will begin to form flocks, but
> this is more of a local movement of birds, or re-distribution, rather than
> a departure.
> While some people will see less birds of a particular species in their
> area, others will likely see an increase as birds begin to flock together
> rather than being more evenly dispersed across the land. In past years I
> have received phone calls from listeners to WPR where one person would ask
> where all of the robins have gone followed by someone else saying that they
> have never seen so many in their neighborhood. Likewise, I would often be
> asked when Canada geese actually migrate when people would see this local
> movement of geese in early August around Horicon Marsh or other similar
> areas. Some of this may actually be early molt migrants returning to the
> area, but the first true migrating Canada geese traditionally show up
> between the 17 and 21 of September. So this flocking behavior is a step
> in preparation for eventual migration but does not indicate the actual
> southerly movement of birds. Therefore, I like to make a distinction
> between late summer or fall flocking of birds in contrast to fall
> migration.
>
> Bill Volkert
> FdL Co.
>

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 1:10 PM Hephziabah Beulah <hephziabahb...>
> wrote:
>
> > Someone mentioned they had 8 Hummingbirds and now down to 3.
> > I had noticed a change in the Vegetation and I think the birds have too.
> >
> > After reading the e-mail about the Hummingbirds, I had about 30 Robins in
> > my yard on Saturday, they are gathering.
> >
> > So perhaps, Migration is beginning. :)
> >
> > Hep
> > Brookfield, WI

> > http://www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
> > Visit Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: http://www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn
> >

> --
> Bill Volkert
> Naturalist
> www.billvolkert

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin, Dane County
Zone 4/5
e-mail: <kathijr...>
website: https://sites.google.com/view/hummingbirdgardening/home
telephone: (608) 233-7397

"Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this
glittering
fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..."; (J. J. Audubon)