Date: 8/10/19 10:51 am
From: Robert Lindsay <thisisroblindsay...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Devereaux Field Trip for SBAS
Saturday, 8/10, 8:00-10:30 am

Led a field trip for SBAS this morning with 16 participants. The morning started off well and just got better. At the meeting spot (West end of Del Playa in Isla Vista) the Eucalyptus trees had, among the more common species, Downy Woodpecker, Western Bluebird, Oak Titmouse, Hooded Oriole and, best of all, Chestnut-backed Chickadee!

Walking the beaches around Coal Oil Point produced the usual recent assortment of shorebirds: Willet, Whimbrel, Black-bellied, Semipalmated and Snowy Plover, Least and Western Sanpiper, and Sanderling. The pleasant surprise were two young Least Tern which I had not seen here in recent visits around the Plover Reserve. Other birds of note included an Osprey fly-by and Brandt's Cormorant at sea. Very few gulls around today.

After the field trip ended, I went to the Devereaux Pull-outs briefly. Nick Lethaby and Jim Hodgeson were at the first and will give a fuller account I'm sure. Birds here included Lesser Yellowlegs, Red-necked Phalarope, Caspian Tern and a single American Avocet among the other common birds reported lately. The Neotropical Cormorant was at its usual roost at the second pull-out and finally stayed while I got long, lingering looks.

I've also seen a lot of activity in my yard in the last 24 hours so believe a land bird push may be coming through our area now. Will report in again when I've had a chance to pinpoint what's around.

That's all,
Rob Lindsay

View/Reply Online (#29215): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29215
-=-=-