Date: 8/5/19 6:14 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: More on white-tail juncos
Hi, Harry -

Pyle says 12 rectrices for Emberizidae, 13 in some aberrant Dark-eyed Juncos.  An odd number would be aberrant in any bird.

Wayne
On 8/5/2019 8:22:20 PM, Harry Fuller <atowhee...> wrote:
how many tail feathers should they have?
my references and BNA online is useless

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 5:05 PM Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...> [mailto:<whoffman...>]> wrote:

Hi -

Juncos are currently undergoing their annual pre-basic molt, which replaces all their feathers over a period of several weeks.  Some of them seem to molt their inner, dark tail-feathers before their outer, white ones.  if you can get photos good enough to count feathers, you will be able to tell whether or not the "white-tailed" ones have their full complement of feathers.

Wayne
On 8/5/2019 7:54:53 PM, Harry Fuller <atowhee...> [mailto:<atowhee...>]> wrote:
Do we have a significant population of white-tail juncos here in NW Oregon?  These are apparently locally breeding birds, not migrants from far-off forest.
I have now heard from two other white-tail spotters in Portland Metro area.  Maybe we need a concerted white-tail census among feeder watchers on Obol?
Here's update with two other observers' comments.
https://atowhee.blog/2019/08/02/auspicious-august/ [https://atowhee.blog/2019/08/02/auspicious-august/]

--

Harry Fuller
author of: San Francisco's Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars:

author of Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA: https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/ [https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/]
author of Freeway Birding: freewaybirding.com [http://freewaybirding.com]
birding website: http://www.towhee.net [http://www.towhee.net]
my birding blog: atowhee.wordpress.com [http://atowhee.wordpress.com]

--

Harry Fuller
author of: San Francisco's Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars:
https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/sfnh/ [https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/sfnh/]

author of Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA: https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/ [https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/]
author of Freeway Birding: freewaybirding.com [http://freewaybirding.com]
birding website: http://www.towhee.net [http://www.towhee.net]