Date: 8/5/19 11:11 am
From: Andy Thomas <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender adt0611 for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Re: Fernhill Wetlands Blue-winged Teal??? Help?
Greetings,
I hope it is okay to piggyback onto this thread. Same question about a duck I saw at Tualatin River NWS on Saturday. I called it Blue-winged, but because of this discussion, I think it might be Cinnamon.
<https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58694132>
Cheers!Andrew Thomas

On Sunday, August 4, 2019, 09:30:30 PM PDT, Jack Maynard <jmaynard...> wrote:

Hello Birders,

A small group met this morning at Fernhill Wetlands, ostensibly looking for shorebirds. We did see Killdeer, LB Dowitchers,  Western, Least , and Spotted Sandpipers, and lots of other great birds. Nothing terribly unexpected. “Lousy with Green Heron” was one comment I overheard. 😊

I’m writing less to give a trip report than to ask the duck experts to look at the two pics I posted of what we decided were Blue-winged Teal.  Small juveniles, fairly nondescript. Several birders caucused near the treatment ponds, poring over the Sibley book and app and the iBird app as these ducks sifted through the green algae, Were we right? If not, what are these? And why? I have more pics, but none better, sorry.

Thanks in advance!

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58743366

Jack Maynard

NE Portland