Date: 8/5/19 7:10 am
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fernhill Wetlands Blue-winged Teal??? Help?
Blue-winged teal also have a narrower supercilium that is interrupted over
the eye, which is probably what contributes to a stronger face pattern.
Juvenile males should be getting color in eye by now and show some red in
face? So I would call these female, not sure about age.

Bob Archer
PDX

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 10:07 PM Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...> wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
> Your ducks look like Cinnamon Teal to me. They are relatively warm brown
> overall, with very little head pattern. Blue-winged Teal tend to be
> somewhat colder grayish-brown overall, with a paler face, often a darker
> eye line, rather pronounced white eye arcs, and an obvious pale spot near
> the base of the bill. Also, their bills are a bit smaller than those of
> Cinnamon Teal, and your birds have pretty hefty bills.
>
> Good birding!
>
> Hendrik
>
> On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 9:32 PM Jack Maynard <jmaynard...> wrote:
>
>> Hello Birders,
>>

>> A small group met this morning at Fernhill Wetlands, ostensibly looking
>> for shorebirds. We did see Killdeer, LB Dowitchers, Western, Least , and
>> Spotted Sandpipers, and lots of other great birds. Nothing terribly
>> unexpected. “Lousy with Green Heron” was one comment I overheard. 😊
>>

>> I’m writing less to give a trip report than to ask the duck experts to
>> look at the two pics I posted of what we decided were Blue-winged Teal.
>> Small juveniles, fairly nondescript. Several birders caucused near the
>> treatment ponds, poring over the Sibley book and app and the iBird app as
>> these ducks sifted through the green algae, Were we right? If not, what are
>> these? And why? I have more pics, but none better, sorry.
>>

>> Thanks in advance!
>>

>> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58743366
>>

>> Jack Maynard
>>
>> NE Portland
>>

> --
> Hendrik G. Herlyn
> Corvallis, OR
>

> *"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home." -- Gary Snyder*

Join us on Facebook!