Date: 8/4/19 12:48 pm
From: Dave Compton <davcompton60...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Devereux this morning
I was one of a number of birders who had the idea to go to Devereux Slough
in Goleta this morning. I spent a couple of hours here, probably longer
than I would have had not others shown up off and on over this time. The
NEOTROPIC CORMORANT was in view much of the time, either in the dead
branches where it frequently perches, or in the channel to the south. It
appears to me this bird is getting darker on the ventral side.

Shorebird numbers were disappointing, with only about 40 peeps (about 60%
Western and 40% Least) and a few other common species. A LESSER YELLOWLEGS
dropped in briefly, south of the northern turnout, and took off to the east
somewhere. Several broods of Gadwall young were present, but only adult
Mallards, as far as I could tell. Seems to be a theme in the area this
year. Also of interest were two GREAT BLUE HERON NESTLINGS in a nest at the
top of the more southerly nesting tree on the west side of the slough. I
have not checked our data on this subject, but wouldn't be surprised if
this is the latest date we have locally for nestlings.

There were 8 or 9 night-herons hanging around, by the way, but no
Yellow-crowneds. I did not check NCOS to see if any were there.

Dave Compton
Santa Barbara

View/Reply Online (#29187): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29187
-=-=-