Date: 8/2/19 12:42 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Air Station Prairie, Techny Basin & Techny North Of Willow Friday 8-2-19
Hello Bird People,.

Day #2 of August & I had 7 species of shorebirds only 1 of which was a
surprise although not a big surprise. Started at Air Station Prairie,
then Techny Basin & then Techny North followed by a return to Air
Station Prairie in case something new had come in. It didn't or if it
had I did not see it.

Air Station Prairie (7-7:45 a.m.)

West Pond Area

Great Blue Heron (1)
SORA (6) & VIRGINIA (4) RAILS
Killdeer (4), Spotted (1) & Least (3) Sandpipers
Pigeons (24 fly-bys) & Mourning Dove (2)
Barn Swallow (4) & Red Wings (~10)

East Pond Area

Mallard (1-F with 5 large young & 1-F with 1 small young)
SORA (2) & VIRGINIA (2) RAILS
Killdeer (3),& Solitary (1), Spotted (1) & Least (1) Sandpipers
AMERICAN WOODCOCK (1 probing in the mud with it's long bill)
(I was surprised to find it but if you think about it they do nest
here & so not a big surprise)
Flicker (A family group of 3)
Barn Swallow, Song Sparrow, Red Wings, Grackles & Goldfinch

Techny Basin (8-9:10 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (8), Great Egret (3) & Green Heron (2)
(Birder Duane also had Black Crowned Night Heron but I missed that)
Canada Goose (5) & Mallard (44)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-AD)
Killdeer (4) & Spotted Sandpiper (2)
(Mud flats are under water but there is a little mud edge in the stream)
Ring Billed Gull (1)
Pigeon (2) & Mourning Dove (2)
Eastern Kingbird (1) & Barn Swallows (12-15)
Robins, Cedar Waxwings, Warbling Vireo, Song Sparrows, Red Wings & Goldfinch

Techny North Of Willow (9:25-10 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (2)
Canada Goose (12), Wood Duck (26) & Mallard (only 5)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-flying) & Kestrel (1)
Killdeer (28) & Lesser Yellowlegs (1)
Solitary (9), Spotted (8), Semipalmated (1) & Least (4) Sandpipers
(finally found the 1 Semipalmated Sandpiper found earlier by Duane)
Tree, Rough Winged & Barn Swallows
Song Sparrow, Red Wing & Goldfinch

Went back to Air Station Prairie to try again for the Dowitcher seen
before by Jeff S & birder
Mike C said he may have seen it fly behind some cattails in the east
pond but in spite of hard looking we could not re-find it. I'll find
one yet in Cook County!

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Woodcock & Runners-Up to both the Sora & Virginia Rails.

Al Stokie
Close to home in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: