Date: 7/31/19 2:33 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan, Illinois Beach South & Peterson Road Fluddle Wed 7-31-19
Hello Bird People,

Decided I would like to end July by seeing the Wilson's Phalarope at
the Peterson Rd Fluddle but that was not meant to be. But July was a
fine month for rare, large shorebirds for me so I can't feel bad about
missing the Phalarope. Maybe I can find another one?

Waukegan Beach (6-7:15 a.m.)

Here I was joined by Andy Stewart & Annette M & Andy stayed with for
all 3 places covered today.

The pond in the stone filled parking lot is rapidly diminishing but
still there today were:

Killdeer (10), Lesser Yellowlegs (1), Solitary (1) & Spotted (1) Sandpipers.
Also in the lot were Ring Billed & Herring Gulls plus a few Caspian Terns.

On the beach were the following:

D.C. Cormorant (4-5)
Great Egret (1 fly-by) & LEAST BITTERN (3-4)
Canada Goose (14 & 17) & Mallard (3)
Spotted Sandpiper (3)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls plus Caspian Terns (4)
A male Kingfisher flew by & Swallows were Bank & Barn.
Still 3 or 4 Marsh Wrens singing.

Illinois Beach South Unit (7:45-9:15 a.m.)

I only did the beach to the Dead River mouth & back & saw:

D.C. Cormorant (11)
Mallard (1-F)
Kestrel (2)
Killdeer (1) & Spotted Sandpiper (2)
Ring Billed (~150) & Herring (7) Gulls with more flying by
Caspian Tern (8)
Crow (1) & Barn Swallows (6)

Andy Stewart also covered the trails & saw many more species than I
did with his best sighting
being the resident Blue Grosbeak.

Peterson Road Fluddle (10-10:25 a.m.)

No Wilson's Phalarope found by us but we did see the following:

Semipalmated Plover (1)
Killdeer (6-AD & 2 young)
Lesser Yellowlegs (3)
Solitary (1) & Spotted (4) Sandpipers
Semipalmated (4), Least (2) & Pectoral (1) Sandpipers
SHORT BILLED DOWITCHER (1)
Horned Lark (1)

Maybe the Least Bitterns were the best bird today but Bird-Of-The-Day
goes to the
Short Billed Dowitcher. Runners-Up to the frequently seen Least
Bitterns & the Kingfisher.
Top Bird for Andy will be the Blue Grosbeak.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: