Date: 7/29/19 11:16 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Whimbrel At Techny Basin & Common Shorebirds Seen Today Monday 7-29-19
Hello Bird People,

Looked like another all common shorebird day until a big WHIMBREL
walked out of the tall grass at Techny Basin's lower level area. This
is where the main deep water basin meets the puddle area just north of
the basin. But it will be tough to re-find as it soon re-entered the
tall grass & was lost to view. I tried again 15 min later on my way
back & could not find it. But I talked to Amanda T
who is currently looking for it & she should post if she finds it. You
may want to wait to see if she finds the bird as finding it is a low
odds business. I saw it at 8:30 a.m. In other news:

Techny North (6:55-7:25 a.m. in the rain)
Some mud flats are back but not at full mud flat status. Hope it
doesn't rain too much here.

Great Blue (1)
Canada Goose (17)
Wood Duck (22) & Mallard (61) (Both totals include many young)
Killdeer (8), Spotted (4) & Solitary (3) Sandpipers
Greater (1) & Lesser (5) Yellowlegs
Ring Billed Gull (2) & Caspian Tern (11)
Willow Flycatcher (1 calling)
Barn Swallow (3)
Robin (1) & Red Wings (2)

Techny Basin (7:35-9 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (3), Great Egret (7), Green Heron (3) & Black Crowned
Night Heron (2)
Wood Duck (2) & Mallard (23)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-AD)
Killdeer (4)
Spotted (2), Solitary (3) & Least (5) Sandpipers
WHIMBREL (1)
Ring Billed (2) & Herring (2) Gulls
Caspian Tern (2)
Kingfisher (1-F)
Flicker (2)
Rough Winged (2) & Barn (12) Swallows
Robins (5) & Song Sparrow (4)
Red Wings (5) & Grackle (2)
House Finch (5, a family group) & Goldfinch (4)

Air Station Prairie (9:15-10 a.m. with David A from California)
(David had a Black Billed Cuckoo today at The Grove.)

D.C. Cormorant (1 fly-by)
Killdeer (3-AD & 1 big young one)
Spotted (2), Solitary (3) & Least (1) Sandpipers
Ring Billed Gull (1 fly-by) & Caspian Tern (1 fly-by)
Mourning Dove (2)
Rough Winged (2) & Barn (4) Swallows
Song Sparrow (1), Red Wings (3), Grackle (1) & Goldfinch (2)

I have surely done very well with big shorebirds in the last 3 days
seeing Willets &
Marbled Godwits on Saturday, Black Necked Stilts on Sunday & the
Whimbrel today.
I need to remember this the next time I think about complaining about
a lack of shorebirds.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the big Whimbrel & Runner-Up to the Greater
Yellowlegs making it an all
big shorebird awards day.

Al Stokie
Birding locally in Cook County & dodging raindrops

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: