Date: 7/28/19 8:26 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Bureau County-Black Necked Stilts & Black Tern Sunday 7-28-19
Hello Bird People,

It's getting late & I've had a long day in Bureau County with Mike
Madsen & Jeff Smith so I think this will be a report with just
highlights. Also, don't ask for directions to my birds as I have no
idea how to get to any of them! Mike knew how to get to all the places
with no help from me.
However, you can check Jeff Smith's map on his ebird report for the
B.N. Stilts.

Arlington Marsh (8:15-8:45 a.m.)

Great Blues (5-7), B.W. Teal (1), Coots, Sora (H-1) & Collared Dove
(2) (more in nearby Arlington)
Shorebirds were Semiplamated Plover (2), Killdeer (~35), Lesser
Yellowlegs (2-3), Solitary (8),
Semipalmated (1), Least (8) & Pectoral (7) Sandpipers.

Nearby is Mike's sister's place which had D.C. Cormorant (2) & Great Egret (1)

Next to a marsh on 850E, south of Rt 92 & west of Rt 40.

P.B.Grebe (1-AD & 2-3 young), one female Ruddy Duck, more young & adult Coots
Shorebirds were BLACK NECKED STILT (at 1st just 2 but later we saw all
4), Killdeer (~30),
Semiplamated Plover (3), Lesser Yellowlegs (6), Semipalmated (10),
Least (8) & Pectorals 8).
A big surprise was when a single BLACK TERN started hunting the wetlands.

New Bedford Marsh

Heard only birds were Marsh Wren, Common Yellowthroat, Song & Swamp
Sparrows & Dickcissel On a nearby road were House Sparrows & EURASIAN
TREE SPARROWS.

Among the birds at or near the McCure Sand Prairie were Bobwhite
(H-1), Purple Martin (2), Sedge Wren, Grasshopper Sparrow (2), Lark
Sparrow (H-1) & a nice looking male adult BLUE GROSBEAK.

Arispie Lake had nothing but Arispie Marsh had a Great Blue, Canada
Geese & 3 Sandhill Cranes.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the 4 Black Necked Stilts & a close 2nd to the Black Tern.
Runners-Up to the Blue Grosbeak & the 2 Eurasian Tree Sparrows. A busy day!

Al Stokie
In Bureau County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: