Date: 7/26/19 8:42 pm
From: Tom Crabtree <tc...>
Subject: [obol] Re: July 26 eBird Oregon RBA
Tim,

Chestnut-backed Chickadees occur in the high Cascades, they are rare everywhere else in Deschutes County. Since the vast majority of the population is in Bend-Redmond-Sisters, the filter is set at zero. Black-capped Chickadees are extremely rare in the county and is the most misidentified bird here. The white eyestripe on Mountain Chickadees is made up of white tips on black feathers that abrade over the course of the year so that many birds lose that feature in the summer months. As a result I get tons of reports of Black-caps in habitats not occupied by them. No one has ever photographed a Black-cap yet away from riparian areas in the county. Again, the filters don’t let me create a seasonal number limited to an area within 100 yards of the Deschutes.

Tom Crabtree

Ebird Reviewer for Central Oregon