Date: 7/25/19 9:19 pm
From: Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Juncal Camp and Jameson Reservoir
My bike rode me from Romero Saddle down to Juncal Campground on the Santa
Ynez River, then upstream to Jameson Reservoir.

At Juncal Campground there was continuing breeding activity, as evidenced
by birds still singing and feeding fledglings.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58452293

I needed more time at Jameson Res so the checklist linked was not as
thorough as it should have been.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58452724

Some new information:

A “couple” of adult *Eared Grebes *were together on Jameson Res. It’s
reasonable to assume that they summered here. Breeding status is not
clear. It’s in an unlikely location for this species.
[image: IMG_1894 Eared Grebes Juncal crop.jpg]

At least 4 *Great-tailed Grackles *were in the marshy area at the east end
of Jameson Reservoir. This would be an extension upstream of their known
distribution in the Santa Ynez Valley.

A female *Green Heron *was on the dam.

[image: IMG_1901 Green Heron crop.jpg]

I found breeding American Coot and Pied-billed Grebe. I was a bit
surprised to not see Spotted Sandpiper or any swallows. This area deserves
regular coverage.

Mark Holmgren

San Marcos Pass

View/Reply Online (#29138): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29138