Date: 7/25/19 8:07 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via Groups.Io <sanchezucsb11=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] 20 Year Anniversary Today
Thank you Jamie for taking the lead 20 years ago and setting up this group.  Amen to everything you said.  eBird can only supply x amount of information.  Real discussion can only take place in a forum such as this.
Florence Sanchez

On Thursday, July 25, 2019, 6:41:58 PM PDT, Jamie Chavez <almiyi...> wrote:

Happy Anniversary sbcobirders! I had a message pop up today reminding me that 20 years ago this very day this group was created. I think I owe thanks to Mike Stiles of slocobirding who at the time had an active listserve through Cal Poly in SLO, and I remember asking Mike if I could post messages about Santa Maria area birds to the group and he said (politely), "I think I would rather keep this group focused on SLO county birds." BAM! sbcobirding was born. In those early days it was hosted through eGroups, eventually swallowed up by Yahoo, later ignored by Yahoo so we moved to Groups.io. In all that time the number of subscribers has grown. I think there were only a few county groups way back when but eventually nearly all 58 counties in California had a discussion group or regional group that birders could report birds to. It was a sign of the times. The phone-in BirdBox was starting to disappear and email discussion groups were a means to get information out to a wide audience fairly quickly. While eBird has taken over the way birders obtain information today it does not support real discussion. This is why I feel email groups still serve a purpose. A group like this is only as good as its members and the topics being discussed so thanks go to all of you for your participation all these years, sharing your sightings and generating some really meaningful discussion about birding in this wonderful county.

--
Jamie Chavez
Santa Maria, CA

View/Reply Online (#29136): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29136