Date: 7/24/19 6:45 am
From: Joe Boyles <Joe.Boyles...>
Subject: [ia-bird] RE: Osprey misfortune
I would suspect it was a Bald Eagle attack, especially if it was a daytime event. There is lots of documentation of eagles taking young ospreys from nests. Easy, low risk meal for the eagle, as well as reducing competition from a predators point of view. Unfortunately, they often continue returning until the nest is empty. Hopefully the remaining chick will fledge before the eagle returns.

[Image result for Polk County conservation logo]Joe Boyles,
Naturalist
12130 NW 128th Street, Granger, Iowa 50109
P 515 323 5362
F 515.323.5354
www.leadingyououtdoors.org<http://www.leadingyououtdoors.org/>