Date: 7/22/19 4:18 pm
From: Teresa Hertzel <teresa.hertzel...>
Subject: [obol] July 22 eBird Oregon RBA
*** Species Summary:

Trumpeter Swan (1 Lane)
Common Goldeneye (2 Union)
Sandhill Crane (1 Multnomah)
Semipalmated Plover (1 Klamath)
Baird's Sandpiper (1 Tillamook)
White-tailed Kite (1 Benton)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (1 Lane)
Merlin (1 Klamath)
Ash-throated Flycatcher (1 Lane)
Bank Swallow (3 Lane)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (1 Lane)
Common Grackle (1 Wasco)

Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator) (1)
- Reported Jul 22, 2019 09:13 by Tye Jeske
- Forcia and Larsen Reservoir, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0682574,-123.4793168&ll=44.0682574,-123.4793168
- Comments: "Continuing. "

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (2)
- Reported Jul 21, 2019 13:45 by Dave Trochlell
- La Grande Sewage Ponds, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2869651,-118.0295563&ll=45.2869651,-118.0295563
- Comments: "Continuing two males."

Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) (2)
- Reported Jul 21, 2019 11:28 by Nolan Clements
- La Grande Sewage Ponds, Union, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.2869651,-118.0295563&ll=45.2869651,-118.0295563
- Comments: "Continuing males"

Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis) (2)
- Reported Jul 21, 2019 06:19 by Travis Koons
- Sauvie Island--Oak Island (Multnomah Co.), Multnomah, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.7144802,-122.8207541&ll=45.7144802,-122.8207541
- Comments: "In flight"

Semipalmated Plover (Charadrius semipalmatus) (2)
- Reported Jul 21, 2019 11:44 by dave haupt
- 1663 Greensprings Dr, Klamath Falls US-OR (42.2046,-121.7819), Klamath,
Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.204583,-121.78194&ll=42.204583,-121.78194
- Comments: "On dry mudflat. Single breast band, medium brown back, white
forehead, black eye patch, smaller than killdeer and larger than western
sandpipers "

Baird's Sandpiper (Calidris bairdii) (2)
- Reported Jul 21, 2019 11:25 by Jimmy Billstine
- Tillamook, Oregon, US (45.551, -123.953), Tillamook, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.550994,-123.9529349&ll=45.550994,-123.9529349
- Comments: "Photos"

White-tailed Kite (Elanus leucurus) (1)
- Reported Jul 21, 2019 11:27 by Erik Knight
- William L. Finley NWR, Benton, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.4094963,-123.3091125&ll=44.4094963,-123.3091125
- Comments: "Adult, NE prairie"

Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) (1)
- Reported Jul 20, 2019 19:43 by Anne Heyerly
- oregon2020--Judkins, Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0480275,-123.0577423&ll=44.0480275,-123.0577423

Merlin (Falco columbarius) (1)
- Reported Jul 20, 2019 20:36 by Cory Ross
- Klamath Marsh NWR, Klamath, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=42.8929966,-121.6850238&ll=42.8929966,-121.6850238
- Comments: "Flying over marsh - larger than AMKE perched nearby with
strong and fast wingbeats and more aerodynamic shape. "

Ash-throated Flycatcher (Myiarchus cinerascens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 21, 2019 09:50 by Pam Otley
- Mt. Pisgah--SE access (Ridgeway Rd.), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.9914227,-122.9415286&ll=43.9914227,-122.9415286
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "While watching for gnatcatchers in continuing location just
west of creek bed, north side of Trail 6, this flycatcher popped up in a
tree behind the shrubs. Large flycatcher, bright rusty-colored tail, pale
front. I did not get view of wings. When not in view, we heard "prrrt" call
twice."

Bank Swallow (Riparia riparia) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 21, 2019 11:10 by Joshua Galpern
- Fern Ridge WMA--Fisher Butte Unit north (dikes around Pelican Pond 6,
Osprey Pond 5, Redhead Pond 4, and west edge of Barn Pond 3), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0667313,-123.263855&ll=44.0667313,-123.263855
- Comments: "Clear breast band. Flew next to immature tree swallows for
comparison. Near redhead pond."

Bank Swallow (Riparia riparia) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 21, 2019 11:10 by Isaac Denzer
- Fern Ridge WMA--Fisher Butte Unit north (dikes around Pelican Pond 6,
Osprey Pond 5, Redhead Pond 4, and west edge of Barn Pond 3), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0667313,-123.263855&ll=44.0667313,-123.263855
- Comments: "Clear breast band. Flew next to immature tree swallows for
comparison. Near redhead pond."

Bank Swallow (Riparia riparia) (2)
- Reported Jul 21, 2019 12:00 by Jonathan Dachenhaus
- Fern Ridge WMA--Royal Ave. area (general), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.0705825,-123.2574606&ll=44.0705825,-123.2574606
- Comments: "At least 2"

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (Polioptila caerulea) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 21, 2019 09:50 by Pam Otley
- Mt. Pisgah--SE access (Ridgeway Rd.), Lane, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=43.9914227,-122.9415286&ll=43.9914227,-122.9415286
- Comments: "Seen in previously reported location north side of Trail 6,
just west of (now dried-up) creek bed. Actively flying and moving about
from bush to bush in the ceanothus shrubs. Heard singing once. One bird
bright blue-gray, the other pale blue-gray. Long tail with white outer
feathers, white eye ring. Too fast, too far into the bushes for photos."

Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) (1)
- Reported Jul 20, 2019 17:20 by Nels Nelson
- Victor Rd., from Juniper Flat Rd. to the Wapanitia Hwy, Wasco, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=45.1717745,-121.2413621&ll=45.1717745,-121.2413621
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "I saw this bird perched on a fence post less than a quarter
mile from the junction with Juniper Flat Road, so stuck my camera out my
car window and snapped a photo of it. I'd been birding most of the day
above Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood (10AM - 4PM) and had hiked several miles
in the process (including well above tree line), so was feeling a bit tired
and a little 'rummy' about this time and didn't pay as much attention to
the bird as I should have. And, I didn't review my photos until I arrived
home last night (at 10:15PM) and didn't get through my 250+ photos until
about 2AM this morning, which is about when I discovered that I'd taken a
photo of a grackle (which in my mind at the time, I'd passed off as another
Brewer's Blackbird). I compared my photo with the illustrations in
Sibley's Birds 2nd Ed. and at first thought it was a Great-tailed Grackle,
but wasn't certain on my ID. Now that I've received input from at least
three birders with more knowledge and experience than I have, I've changed
my ID to Common Grackle (which BTW is a LIFER for me). Here's the input I
received via email from Shawneen Finnegan & Dave Irons: "It looks like a
Common Grackle to Dave and me. The bill looks too short for Great-tailed
and, if it is a female versus a young male, then it isn’t brown enough.
Proportionally the head looks large in comparison to the body as opposed to
the small-headed appearance of a Great-tailed. The tail doesn’t look like
it is molting which means the tail is too short for a Great-tailed". I'm
indebted to our great Oregon birding community with members like those who
contacted me and shared their knowledge with me. Always something new to
learn about birds, even for an older guy like me."

Join us on Facebook!