Date: 7/19/19 5:38 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: July 19 eBird Oregon RBA
Hey All,

I enjoy getting these posts but it is interesting that there is almost no
discussion of many unconfirmed sightings especially unusual ones. If there
is no discussion and a sighting could possibly be in error who is to know?
Actually I expect the more experienced veteran OR birders probably just
dismiss them but without any feedback on OBOL but some may assume that the
lack of any feedback confirms the sighting! Not sure every county even has
an eBird reviewer either?

So for instance I look at the Lincoln County sighting from today’s report.
A Fox Sparrow in the lowlands in July anywhere in western OR is highly
unlikely. So my question should maybe be- have they ever occurred in Beaver
Creek Natural Area in July before? I think they begin to appear in Coos in
early to mid-Sep. You’d probably want photo documentation of a bird
appearing 6 weeks early than the usual “earliest” Fox Sparrows. My guess
would be it is a Song Sparrow.

The other problem with no response to these unconfirmed sightings is less
experienced birders thinking that oh, Fox Sparrows could occur in my
backyard in lowland western OR in July albeit rare. Very misleading I would
think. And yes I know the reviewers might eventually reject a record but
who sees that?

Oh and hopefully I have not offended anyone. OBOL is a great learning tool
due to the feedback, eBird lacks that feedback which is critical for many
birders and especially do for less experienced birders. Errors are
expected, actually inevitable, so don’t sweat them, hopefully learn from
them. Oh and yes I make ID mistakes too- hopefully not as many as when I
was new to the game.

Carry on and happy birding!
Tim R
Coos Bay