Date: 7/11/19 5:19 pm
From: Lynn Romine <0000009144775b98-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: common nighthawk
Even if you don't go there, you can call Martin Nature Park. It is just a little west of Quail Springs Mall just West of the hospital on the South side of the turnpike. The Ranger there would be able to give you some good viewing locations as well.
On ‎Thursday‎, ‎July‎ ‎11‎, ‎2019‎ ‎06‎:‎57‎:‎28‎ ‎PM‎ ‎CDT, William Diffin <okiebirder...> wrote:

Quail Springs was a good place to check. The shopping area on the SW corner of Memorial and Penn is usually dependable near Texas Roadhouse. I've also had them in the past at Hideaway Pizza on Memorial west of MacArthur and at the Braum's near there on the north side of Memorial. Seems to be an easy bird to find until you actually go out to look for one.
On Wed, Jul 10, 2019, 10:37 AM Dora Webb <owl112...> wrote:

Hi Lynn, thank you for responding to my question.  We took our granddaughter to Quail Springs mall Sunday night where I’ve seen the nighthawks in years past.  Didn’t see any there.We’ll try the other places you mentioned.  Dora From: Lynn Romine Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2019 6:57 PMTo: <OKBIRDS...> Subject: Re: [OKBIRDS] common nighthawk  You will hear the nighthawks at night calling as they cavort about the sky all over the metro area. Looking up,  you can see the white "v" on the underneath side of their wings which is readily visible even if the sky is dark. Nearly every well lit 7-11 in town has some flying about overhead catching insects attracted to the light..  They are in the "goat sucker" family. They can open their mouths very wide and they catch moths and insects on the wing.. Right at dawn, on the banks of Lake Overholser, you can see them alighting on tree branches for the daylight hours.. The big cottonwood trees seem to be a favorite. They zoom in and park themselves parallel with the branch; not sitting across it as most birds do. Due to their coloration they are hard to spot once they  are on the branch as they blend in and just look like a bump. If you see one alighting and can remember where it is you can come back and they will still be there later in the day.  If you can go there, try Martin Nature Park for viewing. Call ahead and ask the ranger if there are current sightings or any nature hikes scheduled where you could see them. Voracious insect eaters!On Tuesday, July 9, 2019, 10:44:49 AM CDT, Dora Webb <owl112...> wrote:   Where can the nighthawks be found near OKC?  Also, burrowing owls.  We checked the dog town at Yukon.  None there that we could see!Dora WebbEdmond

[...]

Join us on Facebook!