Date: 7/11/19 4:22 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - July 11
It was partly cloudy and hot with a little wind on the bird survey today.
58 species were found. The heronry on Pintail Lake is still a buzz of
activity. Fledglings are everywhere now and the adults are busy running
back and forth with food for nestlings and recent fledglings. I saw a
couple Great Egret young that were about ready to fledge that were sparring
in the nest. Highlight of my day was finding in the heronry a Black-crowned
Night-Heron's nest with both adult birds present with one sitting on the
nest. This is the first breeding record of this species at Red Slough.
Also, I found 4 White Ibis nests with birds sitting on them and I believe
there are lots more but a large part of the heronry is not visible from the
levee road. I saw a male Neotropic Cormorant fly into the heronry with a
stick and proceeded to give it to a female perched in there, then some
courtship behavior ensued. Looks like there will be another new nest soon.
I ran into a pair of King Rails with a brood of larger sized young. Also
several broods of gallinules (both species) were encountered. And also of
note (at least for Red Slough) were a couple female/juvenile type
Great-tailed Grackles feeding in the marsh (22 miles from the nearest
McDonald's. J). They are common in Idabel and Broken Bow now but it is
rare to see them in their historic native habitat anymore which is wetlands.
Here is my list for today:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 7

Wood Duck - 13

Gadwall - 1

Pied-billed Grebe - 6

Neotropic Cormorant - 13

Anhinga - 141 (lots of fledglings out now.)

Least Bittern - 2

Great-blue Heron - 6

Great Egret - 13

Snowy Egret - 7

Little-blue Heron - 62

Cattle Egret - 4500

Green Heron - 14

Black-crowned Night-Heron - 2 (one on nest.)

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - 2

White Ibis - 28 (4 on nests)

Black Vulture - 27

Turkey Vulture - 70

Mississippi Kite - 1

King Rail - 2 adults with a brood.

Purple Gallinule - 23 (also 2 broods of young.)

Common Gallinule - 28 (also 6 broods of young.)

Mourning Dove - 1

Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 5

Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 2

Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1