Date: 7/11/19 1:47 pm
From: <birdmt...> [MOB-Montana] <MOB-Montana...>
Subject: [MOB-Montana] WS WMA Survey - 07.11.19

WARM SPRINGS WMA REPORT – JULY 11, 2019

This is the sixteenth survey for the 2019 season. The temperature was
54 F when I started the survey and reached 75 F with clear skies.

I started this survey with 134 species. One new species was added
today, Golden-crowned Kinglet. Total species for the year is now at
135. Total individuals counted last week was 2,398 in 73 species. This
week the total individuals were 2,428 and 72 species.

Total number of waterfowl species today were 16 compared to 16 last
week.

SHOREBIRDS AND WADERS:

All water bodies are mostly filled to capacity. Wherever there is
limited exposed mudflats there were shorebirds. There were no
Wilson’s Phalaropes this week. There were 24 Wilson’s Phalaropes
last week and 278 two weeks ago. I only found 3 American Avocets
compared to 90 last week. There were 6 Greater Yellowlegs and 1 Lesser
Yellowlegs. I also saw 4 resident breeding Spotted Sandpipers. I
suspect that we will begin to see more species of waterfowl as
mudflats become exposed. It would appear shorebirds have started their
migration south. It is generally believed that these are non-breeders
or unsuccessful breeders that come through first.

BIRDS OF INTEREST:

1 – Adult Black-crowned Night Heron, 1 – juvenile White-crowned
Sparrow

SUMMARY:

ARCO PONDS

60 species, and 1,928 individuals. This made up 80 % of the total
birds.

SEWAGE PONDS

15 species, and 170 individuals. This made up 7 % of the total birds.

JOB CORPS PONDS

18 species, and 99 individuals. This made up 4 % of the total birds.

DUCKS UNLIMITED PONDS

34 species, and 230 individuals. This made up 10 % of the total
birds.

Gary Swant

GoBirdMontana, LLC

Warm Springs/Deer Lodge