Date: 7/11/19 6:28 am
From: William Rowe <rowemb45...>
Subject: CHECKLIST CHANGES 2019 from the AOS
Missouri birders:

The American Ornithological Society, or AOS (formerly the AOU), has just
published the 60th supplement to its Checklist of North and Middle American
Birds. This supplement, which used to be occasional, has become annual
because new information is accruing fast and producing regular changes in
our understanding of bird relationships.

As far as Missouri goes, the 60th supplement has produced no species splits
or lumps that would increase or reduce our list. Our White-winged Scoter,
however, has been split from two Old-World forms, called Velvet and
Stejneger's Scoters, and that split has changed our species' scientific
name to *Melanitta deglandi*. The English name for our species remains
White-winged Scoter.

Just a few other names have been changed for other reasons. Band-rumped
Storm-Petrel, an accidental vagrant in Missouri, has been moved to the
genus *Hydrobates* along with many other storm-petrels; a new genus,
*Leiothlypis*, has been established for the Tennessee, Orange-crowned, and
Nashville Warblers and their close relatives; and the Common Ground-Dove
has seen the hyphen removed from its name: Common Ground Dove (an odd minor
adjustment reflecting the fact that not all birds called “ground doves” are
of the same lineage).

Another type of rearrangement involves the order in which birds are listed
within a family or genus, reflecting how closely related they are to other
birds in the same group, as determined by the most recent genetic analysis.
This "linear order" has been shifted in four groups that are relevant to
us: the cuckoo family (Cuculidae), the *Charadrius* genus of plovers, the
swallow family (Hirundinidae), and the family of North American sparrows
and towhees (Passerellidae). The latter has undergone an extensive
reordering among the species on our state list (28 of them).

That's all that matters for Missouri. The Annotated Checklist of Missouri
Birds, on line at http://mobirds.org/Birds/MOChecklist.aspx
<https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmobirds.org%2FBirds%2FMOChecklist.aspx&data=02%7C01%<7Cmrobbins...>%7C24a093d753d143a2ab0308d7053e44b2%7C3c176536afe643f5b96636feabbe3c1a%7C0%7C1%7C636983637303024228&sdata=dEDa4FwGQcJp8Z44zYHkfKmP35EibqFFmDgFT6WXZjM%3D&reserved=0>,
is kept current and now reflects all the above changes.

Bill Rowe

Secretary, MBRC

St. Louis

<rowemb45...>