Date: 7/11/19 2:10 am
Subject: Hyde Co NC -- July 10
Greetings all

Yesterday I made the trip down to Hyde Co, actually it should be Tuesday as I went to bed at 1930 hrs and woke up at 2230 hrs
Thew by Birding gear into my car ate a bowel of Cheerios and then head up to the Gashouse to top off and was on the road for the 4 hr drive to Mattamaskeet Lake - Landing for the Ruff.

I decided to leave early so that I might try getting a Barred Owl and hopefully a Chuck-will-widow. Just as I neared the Lake I decided since I was so early that I would go to Gull Rock Game Land eBird Hotspot first.

I started my first count at 0340 hrs and after I made the turn for Gull Rock I stopped and got out of the car and heard a Barred Owl calling. a great way to start the day. Driving down the nearly 7 mile dirt road to the end I heard my first Chuck and when I reach the end of the road and water I later heard another Chuck.

While fighting off the mosquitoes I was entertained by the cloud to cloud lightning from a storm miles off shore and by the clear sky and millions of stars of the Milky Way that shined and twinkled above me.

If I didn’t see another bird all day that would have been ok as I just witnessed two amazing things at once.

The storm blew away from me and as I waited a chorus of frogs sang out to their love one and finally the day began to lighten and the birds began to sing and fly around and one by one I added bird species to my Hyde County List.

After I got light I started my second eBird Report and birded along the road before reaching Hwy 264 and heading to Landing Rd for the Ruff. Where I was joined later by two birders Megan and Michael from Dare Co and together to put in our best effort to find the Ruff but no luck

After leaving Lake Landing I returned to Gull Rock and hopefully see a Brown Pelican. On the way down the road I got a glimpse of a bird perched on a dead tree and so I stopped and slowly backed up and with binoculars in hand and window already down I got a great look of an Anhinga but it didn’t like me so it took off.

After hanging around at the waters edge for about half and hour and no Pelican I started birding along the road on my way out adding more species for the day including a Worm-Eating Warbler, Prothonotary, Prairie, Yellow-throated and Common Yellowthroat Warblers.

My final stop for the day was at Engelhard where I got yea a House Sparrow and then on to the 4 hr drive home and arrive at 1930 hrs.

Even though I didn’t get the Ruff I did add three species to my NC Life List, the Worm-Eating Warbler, a Marsh Wren and a Seaside Sparrow.

I also added 49 species to my Hyde Co List reaching 119 and making it my 13th County for NC with 100 or more species.

eBird Checklist Summary for: Jul 10, 2019

Number of Checklists: 5
Number of Taxa: 75

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Gull Rock Game Land
Date: Jul 10, 2019 at 3:40 AM
(2): Gull Rock Game Land
Date: Jul 10, 2019 at 5:45 AM
(3): Gull Rock Game Land
Date: Jul 10, 2019 at 11:30 AM
(4): Mattamuskeet NWR--Lake Landing
Date: Jul 10, 2019 at 7:20 AM
(5): Engelhard US-NC (35.5084,-75.9997)
Date: Jul 10, 2019 at 2:25 PM

35 Canada Goose -- (4)
1 Wood Duck -- (4)
15 Mallard -- (4)
12 Mourning Dove -- (2),(3),(4)
2 Chuck-will's-widow -- (1),(2)
3 Ruby-throated Hummingbird -- (3)
1 Clapper Rail -- (4)
4 Black-necked Stilt -- (4)
25 Killdeer -- (4)
3 Least Sandpiper -- (4)
1 Pectoral Sandpiper -- (4)
5 peep sp. -- (4)
2 Short-billed Dowitcher -- (4)
3 Spotted Sandpiper -- (4)
10 Greater Yellowlegs -- (4)
15 Lesser Yellowlegs -- (4)
49 Laughing Gull -- (2),(3),(4),(5)
1 Herring Gull -- (2)
2 Great Black-backed Gull -- (2)
2 Caspian Tern -- (2)
4 Common Tern -- (3),(4),(5)
2 Forster's Tern -- (4),(5)
3 Royal Tern -- (2),(4)
1 Anhinga -- (3)
52 Great Blue Heron (Blue form) -- (1),(4),(5)
55 Great Egret -- (2),(3),(4)
2 Snowy Egret -- (4)
2 Little Blue Heron -- (2),(4)
18 Tricolored Heron -- (2),(4)
9 Green Heron -- (2),(4)
15 White Ibis -- (4)
20 Glossy Ibis -- (4)
16 Turkey Vulture -- (3),(4),(5)
1 Osprey -- (4)
2 Red-shouldered Hawk -- (2)
1 Broad-winged Hawk -- (3)
1 Red-tailed Hawk -- (2)
1 Barred Owl -- (1)
1 Belted Kingfisher -- (3)
8 Red-headed Woodpecker -- (2),(3)
7 Red-bellied Woodpecker -- (2),(3),(4)
1 Downy Woodpecker -- (3)
1 Pileated Woodpecker -- (4)
5 Great Crested Flycatcher -- (2),(3),(4)
3 Eastern Kingbird -- (4),(4),(5)
1 White-eyed Vireo -- (3)
9 American Crow -- (4)
10 Fish Crow -- (3)
1 crow sp. -- (4)
3 Northern Rough-winged Swallow -- (4)
72 Purple Martin -- (3),(4),(5)
2 Barn Swallow -- (5)
Carolina Chickadee -- (3)
2 Brown-headed Nuthatch -- (3)
1 Marsh Wren -- (2)
8 Carolina Wren -- (2),(3),(4)
1 American Robin -- (5)
6 Gray Catbird -- (2),(3),(4)
2 Northern Mockingbird -- (5)
50 European Starling -- (4),(5)
1 Seaside Sparrow -- (3)
1 Eastern Towhee -- (3)
25 Red-winged Blackbird -- (2),(3),(4),(5)
31 Brown-headed Cowbird -- (2),(3)
30 Common Grackle -- (4)
49 Boat-tailed Grackle -- (2),(4)
1 Worm-eating Warbler -- (3)
4 Prothonotary Warbler -- (3)
7 Common Yellowthroat -- (2),(3),(4)
1 Yellow-throated Warbler -- (3)
4 Prairie Warbler -- (3),(4)
6 Northern Cardinal -- (2),(3),(4)
1 Blue Grosbeak -- (2)
1 Indigo Bunting -- (4)
1 House Sparrow -- (5)

This trip summary was created using the eBird app for iPhone and iPad.
See eBird for more information.

From my iPhone

May God Bless and Keep You

Jeff Blalock