Date: 7/10/19 9:06 pm
From: Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Interesting peep
That is one tattered and or wet peep…

One of the distinguishing features between the two species is facial pattern. Least have white over the bill while Long-toed’s lack this as the dark from the crown extends down to the bill between the eyes. It has been described as more of a “J” shaped supercilium. Yes, the central toe looks very long, but telling Least from Long-toed is very hard as Least’s also have fairly long toes. Many have tried to morph a Least into a Long-toed by toe length. Per Rare Birds of North America in flight the toes of Long-toed projects noticeable beyond the tail tip while Least do not or barely project beyond it.

It is hard to tell from you photo given it is from the side but it would appear to be white over top of the bill.

My favorite article on peep/stint identification is from 1984 by Dick Veit and illustrated by Lars Jonsson. It is still one of the best pieces on the topic and Lars Jonsson is one of the world’s best bird illustrators IMHO.

Given the facial pattern in this one photo it would appear to be Least Sandpiper.

Shawneen Finnegan
Beaverton, OR

> On Jul 10, 2019, at 7:47 PM, Owen Schmidt <oschmidt...> wrote:
>

> …… yesterday and today at the Troutdale Sewage Pond (Multnomah) found by Colby Neuman. The bird shows some characteristics of Long-toed Stint. I took the photo below this afternoon.
>
> <oschmidt...> <mailto:<oschmidt...>
> Wednesday, July 10, 2019
>

> <DC4I0320.jpg>

Join us on Facebook!