Date: 7/7/19 8:13 am
From: Tim Johnson <tim.the.fisherman...>
Subject: [obol] Recent vehicle break-ins at Minto-Brown Island Park
Hi all,

I have some bad news to report regarding parking lot 3 at Minto-Brown
Island Park in South Salem (parking lot 3 is at the end of the road into
the park). There’s been a rash of vehicle break-ins recently. On the last
two Salem Audubon field trips here, a couple participates had their
vehicles broken into. One had a window broken. The other had a car door
lock broken. A Salem police officer who responded to the most recent
break-in told me that these break-in were happening frequently at this
parking lot.

The most recent break-in that I am aware of happened on the morning of July
4th between 9:00-9:45 am, when the parking lot was full of cars with many
people in and around the parking lot. Apparently the presence of lots of
park visitors does not discourage the thieves.

The park ranger told me that break-ins are probably more likely when there
are many cars in the parking lot. This gives the thieves more opportunities
to observe purses, backpacks or other items of possible value in parked
cars.

Minto-Brown Park is a popular birding area and many of people come to the
park to go on bird walks. If that includes you, my advise is to try to
avoid visiting the park on weekends or holidays when there are a lot of
park visitors, and don’t leave anything that looks like it might contain
items of value visible in your vehicle.

Tim Johnson
Salem, OR

Join us on Facebook!