Date: 7/4/19 1:20 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report
*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report*

*July 4, 2019*

This morning, Barbara, Kay and I led the SAS Minto-Brown Island Park bird
walk. We were joined 23 other birders including a birder from Washington,
D.C. It was a very pleasant morning. The temperatures ranged from 55 to
67 degrees with mostly clear skies. We walked about 4.2 miles as we
covered the east end of the park including part of the North Conservation
Area. The bird activity was very good as we observed (saw or heard) 51
species.

The highlights were as follows:

· There were quite a few highlights of the day including a patriotic
sighting of six *Bald Eagles* around the North Conservation Area. Some of
the eagles were seen close-up as they flew over us;

· A surprising observation was a sighting of three young *Peregrine
Falcons*. We got a decent look at them and were able to rule out other
possibilities pretty easily;

· There were lots of *Turkey Vultures* in the North Conservation
Area. We counted 28 vultures in one tree. There were a total of about 32
vultures;

· We only observed three of the five expected woodpecker species
including *Downy Woodpecker*, *Pileated Woodpecker* and *Northern Flicker*.
It was surprising that we only saw one flicker during the entire walk;

· We only observed three warbler species including *Common
Yellowthroat*, *Yellow Warbler* and a *Wilson's Warbler*. The Common
Yellowthroats were quite vocal throughout the walk and we were able to see
a few of them;

· We observed three species of flycatcher which included *Pacific-sloped
Flycatcher* (heard), *Willow Flycatcher* (heard) and *Western Wood-Pewee*
(seen and heard);

· Other observations included a *Common Nighthawk* (heard which
seemed unusual to hear it during the day), four *Spotted Sandpipers *along
the river and a *Lazuli Bunting* (heard)*. *

The upcoming events include:

*Saturday, July 20, 7:00 AM – 11:00 AM* – Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge
-- Meet at the Pintail Marsh Parking Lot at 7:00 AM.

*Wednesday, July 24, 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM* - SAS Short: Minto-Brown Island
Park to look for Common Nighthawks. Meet in Parking Lot #3 (the last
parking lot).

*Saturday, July 27, 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM* – *Molt and Migration Workshop*. The
workshop will be held at the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
Headquarters, 4034 Fairview Industrial Dr SE, Salem. Fee: $10. You can use
this link to register online for the workshop:
https://forms.gle/4ChoCveLJuuHqUMx5

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for July 4, 2019*

*Identified Species: 51*

32 Mallard
7 California Quail
3 Mourning Dove
1 Common Nighthawk
1 Vaux's Swift
2 Anna's Hummingbird
1 hummingbird sp.
3 Killdeer
4 Spotted Sandpiper
5 Great Blue Heron
32 Turkey Vulture
5 Osprey
7 Bald Eagle
1 Red-tailed Hawk
4 Downy Woodpecker
2 Pileated Woodpecker
1 Northern Flicker (Red-shafted)
2 American Kestrel
3 Peregrine Falcon -- Three juveniles together. One white terminal tail
band for juvenile. Heard them calling. Not an accipiter and too big for a
Kestrel.
8 Western Wood-Pewee
1 Willow Flycatcher
1 Pacific-slope Flycatcher